V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...had a Vespa scooter in high school... and a few rides on a buddy's Honda 250 Scrambler in college..
hadn't ridden since. Then last August got a 'wild hair' and flew down to Florida (..I live in Alaska) and bought a Kawasaki Vulcan 750 .... (thought a Harley might be a bit 'heavy' to start off with!) Anyway, managed to survive the trip across America ....... what a wonderful trip that was!! ... and of course I now have 'the bug!'
....now having said all that, I just don't feel 'right' on that *** bike!! ...Guess ya'll know what I mean! :)
Am thinking real strong about either a Wide Glide, or a Softail, either new or near new.... any recommendations???????
.... that Vulcan is a nice ride..... but it just ain't right somehow..... and having just turned 60 last February .... well, you know, it's time for a Harley!! Enuf said...... and a nice warm 'Howdy' to everyone here!!:) :D

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome, aboard! Lots of riders here started on bikes other than Harleys.

If you have a chance to demo ride some bikes in the line, you'll make a more informed choice. There is big difference in the Dyna and Softtail lines. The choice will be yours, based upon what you're looking for ride, looks and function. Take your time to make your choice. FYI. The 2003 model year will likely bring huge price gouging by the dealers. You may want to buy a 2002 model are a clean used bike.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
AKfrodo,

Welcome! Man, you have a beautiful state to explore on a Harley. Good luck with your choice.

Wyodude

'02 Road King

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Welcome to the forum,AKfrodo!

Been bitten bad,have you? Well,60 is as good an age as any to take the plunge!

Pasadenajim's advice is as sound as you'll get,keep posting & keep us informed.
guido

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
AKFrodo,

Spent some time up in Anchorage in the early eighties. What a great place to live and ride on two-wheels. My dad was stationed on Elmendorf and we use to ride up to Seward on his Goldwing. Beautiful country, welcome and looking forward to some pix.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Welcome aboard. I would think that the Vulcan would be somewhat similar to the wideglide as far as ride goes. However I would take Jims advise and try them on for size first.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I did it!! :)

....Stopped by the Harley dealer this afternoon. (first time I've ever been in there!) Bought the Wide Glide in the window!! ..... am feeling just 'giddy' right now!! Really cool 'limited edition' paint job...... Royal blue and Turquoise!! ..... got them to throw in a windshield and engine guard ...... other than that I just 'bent over' and paid the price!!
If all goes well I'll ride her home tomorrow!! ....rain or shine!! :)
Plan to ride her (no name yet) around Alaska all summer.... then build a crate and ship her to Seattle this fall....... then do a bit of crusin!!
Well..... gotta go..... Miller time!! :)
(pictures will be forthcoming!)

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Welcome AKfrodo! Man, when you start thinking you really move fast. That's great! I think you'll love the bike. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Later,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here she is!!

Just got her home. Winds gusting up to around 40 and rain soon to come! My God what a sweet machine!! So am just having a couple of cold ones ...... and bonding with my new 'girl' out in the garage! (hope the picture posts!! .... and you have to see 'her' in the sunlight to really appreaciate the color!!)
Naturally I need to spend a lot more $ to get things 'right' ....... new exhaust to start with, as right now she's so quiet you don't know when to shift!! ...... not to mention some bags, blah blah etc...... :)
What a wonderful f--king rush this all is!! :)

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
Congrats on an excellent choice. Try the Cycle Shack slip-ons, great sound and only about $100.

Ride on

By the way Is the Bush Company II still going strong?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update..... got about 70 miles on yesterday! (..rain again today) Mostly just cruzin around town getting the feel and such. Stopped by the dealers and ordered the SE slip on's, K&N filter, jet kit, bags and of course the turn signal relocating kit.... Wow! HD is sure 'proud' of their stuff!! WTF... At this rate I'll have to go back to work! :)
This bike is a dream!! :)
Thanks for all your comments and support.... and yes 99WideGlide, the Bush Co. is still going strong!! Lol! ..... they're right proud of their stuff too!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a new picture that I got back today....... do I look happy or what?!!
Rained all day today.... and I don't ride in cold rain!! Them Gulf Coast 'quick and dirty' showers feel really good when it's 95!! But these Alaska rains ...when it's only 50 or so..... not for me!! Anyway.... just thought I'd post this pic.
Hope everyone has had a nice day!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts