V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does changing your final gear ratio affect the TQ and HP numbers on a Dyno or are they built into the Dyno program?

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I am going to be interested in hearing the answer to this. I have been told it doesnt matter, but if you look at a 5th gear run vs a 4th gear run there is a difference. I hope you get some feed back on this one. I only know enough to be dangerous but I think it would make some difference, just how much

·
Registered
98 Posts
It does make a differance. If you read Bakers website on their primary sets for different ratios it gives you the percent of torque increase per ratio. It will yield you 9-12 % increase.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I agree the more I think about it the hp is the hp no matter what gearing you have. As for tq I think it might just shift where you see it come in on the dyno chart. You will certainly feel a difference in the seat of the pants.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Dynos are measuring at the wheel not the crank. A gear change changes the load. It would be like pulling a nail out with a hammer, hold the hammer at the head and you have no leverage, hold it on the handle and you do. Same person / same HP just different torque.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Doc says that changing ratios like going from 3:15 to 3:37 primary "frees up" torque and you get better numbers.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Well, like the old saying goes...you can't race a dyno sheet. The gear change may or may not change dyno numbers. But as hotshot says, 'you will feel it in the seat of the pants'. This is why drag cars go to different gear ratios...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts