V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The shifter pawl spring broke in my 91 FXR.
Got it apart and some gear teeth are pretty trashed and the shafts have some bearing slop so, I decide to do a rebuild. A Baker set would be great but finances won't support it so, I got a used late model gear set from a Baker swap out that is has way less miles than my 91.
I need to use my old trap door. I am going with a rebuild kit from Baker along with their primary bearing tha eliminates the race from the main shaft and their shifter pawl. I already have the Baker reverse pattern shift drum and forks. The question is the late model main drive gear is bigger than the old one on my 91, I'm having a time finding gear ratio info on differtent year tranny's. I don't know the exact year of this take off (pre 2005 5 speed) but every thing looks right and fits in my case. Anyone been here, or done this??

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Copied and pasted from your post in FXR…

I would count the teeth on your gears. Stock is 32 teeth. Unless it's an overdrive the final drive should be 1:1 no matter how many teeth on the gears. Are you using a complete set i.e. both shafts and all gears?
Who knows what changes were made by an after market manufacture? Could be if the main has a tooth or two more, maybe the countershaft 5th has a tooth or two less for the same end result. Maybe the old one that's a little smaller has a bigger countershaft gear to mate with. Stock for the countershaft gear is 17 teeth.
Hope this helps.

Anthony

The tooth brush was invented in Tweekerville, otherwise it'd of been call the teeth brush…all this talk about teeth gets me confused…

Aahhh so you are using aftermarket. Count the teeth on the countershafts' 5th gears and see if there's a correlation.

The shifter pawl spring broke in my 91 FXR.
Got it apart and some gear teeth are pretty trashed and the shafts have some bearing slop so, I decide to do a rebuild. A Baker set would be great but finances won't support it so, I got a used late model gear set from a Baker swap out that is has way less miles than my 91.
I need to use my old trap door. I am going with a rebuild kit from Baker along with their primary bearing tha eliminates the race from the main shaft and their shifter pawl. I already have the Baker reverse pattern shift drum and forks. The question is the late model main drive gear is bigger than the old one on my 91, I'm having a time finding gear ratio info on differtent year tranny's. I don't know the exact year of this take off (pre 2005 5 speed) but every thing looks right and fits in my case. Anyone been here, or done this??

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ok just reread again. Somebody else swapped out for Baker and and you got his old gears?
OK so it's stock. Did you check out the countershaft 5th?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the new set has 41 teeth on the main drive gear the counter 5th has more teeth as well. Main worry is gear ratio being fubar'd.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Somethings amiss here.

Check this out

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/PDF_files/catalog/26_HiPerfCam-pg26.pdf

And this one. Scroll down to page 97. Jims doesn't give the number of teeth but it's the same OEM part # from '91-'06. The same OEM part # given by Andrews, which list stock as 32 teeth.

http://www.jimsusa.com/pdf/2009_catalog.pdf

Is there a part # or any kind of # on the gears?
Is it possible that the gears were replaced sometime in the past?

Just wanna help. Might be worth a call to tech support at one of these places. I've had better luck with Andrews than Jims, and have never tried Bakers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.
No they are stock takeoffs. The difference in the main drive gear could be cause they are from baggers. I'll try tech at on of the places you mention. The guys at Baker have been helpful in the past. Trying to avoid doing a rebuild with this gearset and ending up with some weird gear ratio.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I get why your doing it, I'd wanna know too. Just because the final drive ratio should still be 1:1 doesn't mean I'd wanna mix and match gears. Unless you're doing an even swap both shafts and their gears one for the other, then I'd probably just do it. Take all the guts outta yours and put in the replacements you have. 1:1 is 1:1.
If there was a different stock gear set for heavier bikes, I would think you'd be able to find aftermarket replacements for those gears too. I thought 4 spds had different ratios for FL and FX models; 5spds too?
Let me know what you find out.
Anthony

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok!

So, I call up Baker and ask for tech. They were real helpful.
According to them it was larger gears to change ratio between gears and yea everything still 1-1 for 5th. I am swapping everything into my trap door. Baker set me up with a rebuild kit that has the smaller door bearings for my year (91 FXR). Also ordered their shift pawl ( that's what started this) and their Hi Torque bearing kit for the inner primary, it eliminates the race on the mainshaft and the need for another specialty tool.
Real impressed with Baker's tech's. They were very forthcoming with info BEFORE I ordered anything and the guy immediatley knew why I was swapping guts into my trapdoor (FXR ear for exhaust bracket) that told me I was talking to someone who new what they were takling about. I need to get another tool for the main drive gear bearings / seal and that should see me through the rebuild.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So, I call up Baker and ask for tech. They were real helpful.
According to them it was larger gears to change ratio between gears and yea everything still 1-1 for 5th. I am swapping everything into my trap door. Baker set me up with a rebuild kit that has the smaller door bearings for my year (91 FXR). Also ordered their shift pawl ( that's what started this) and their Hi Torque bearing kit for the inner primary, it eliminates the race on the mainshaft and the need for another specialty tool.
Real impressed with Baker's tech's. They were very forthcoming with info BEFORE I ordered anything and the guy immediatley knew why I was swapping guts into my trapdoor (FXR ear for exhaust bracket) that told me I was talking to someone who new what they were takling about. I need to get another tool for the main drive gear bearings / seal and that should see me through the rebuild.
If there's one available to you, you can use a hydraulic press to press the gear in, and a 2x4 and a hammer for the main bearing and seal if your mechanically inclined. That's what I do, assuming you have the tranny out of the bike. Beats $200 for a tool you may never use again.

So that's it on the gears? No point of origin for? No reference point?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The gearset is OEM out of a later model bike. I don't know what model. They were in Baker boxes from a swap out so I can't go by what is on the box. All gearsets (shafts and gears) are swapable from 91 to 06. I am not changing individual peices. I am swapping out the whole later model gear set into my trap door w/ a new rebuild kit and the things I described previously. Waiting on the kit and I'll let you know how it goes.
Stay in touch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts