V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed s&s gear drive last winter with wild things bolt in cam 510 lift. with v thunder street lifters, screaming eagle pushrods. The bike runs great except when it warms up. It ticks I think excessively at idle. I even went back in there & installed baisley spring with no difference. I have reajusted
push rods three times going 3 turns last time instead of 2 1/2 with no difference. I never checked crank runout. would this do it? I have a slight whine when cold & hot also.
I have used a stephoscope many times. fuel injectors seem as loud as anything else. just cant seem to pinpoint. The noise seems louder on primary side of bike towards front and under gas tank.
when I adjusted lifters last time when turning motor over on high part of lobe back & forth I can hear valves closing. Is this right.
could this be just the ramp of the cam? It only has 510 lift. Almost ready to go back to stock but it wasn"t all that quiet before.
my bke is a 2000 flhrci with 45000 miles. any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
My guess would be lifters... Loose gears would clatter cold and improve as it heated up. tight gears would be good cold and whine lots louder when hot.
Even though you changed the lifters with the build...I'd start there as a bad one will clatter when the oil thins out when hot....and it's easy to do at this point.
I realize the lifters are new but one can get bad parts....when adjusting them....I like to pay real close attention as to how fast they bleed down before you can spin the pushrod....find one signifcantly faster bleed down than the others and it might be your problem.
GMR...some AMS lifters maybe ???
One other thing..remote chance a rocker arm is touching the casting webbing inside a rocker cover with the added lift.....due to manufacturing tolerances..some are close even on stock motors.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I put 26Gs in my bike and it does the same thing...It is quiet cold and then ticks when it gets hot. I swapped lifters, adjusted pushrods this way and that, and put in a Baisley spring. Nothing made it go away.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys,
I did check lifters when hot last week and rear one on exhaust seemed like it collapsed quick when hot. But when I adjust lifters when cold even this one takes about 20 or more minutes to bleed down so I can turn motor over safely.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
DEW2112 said:
You might want to check rocker arm endplay. The manual calls for .0025" MAX.
That's a good guess. Another possibility is that the pushrods might be rubbing on the inside of the covers.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have the same thing, post 95" build. Scotsman heads, TW37G cams, adj. push rods, Baisley spring.

Adjusting the PR: no change
Added oil cooler: no change
New B series lifters: no change
Oil brand and weights: no change
I Pod: worked :whistle:

I did not check end play of the rocker arms or runout of the crank. The ticking did soften after the B series lifters though. Almost as if there is an improved layer of oil there to cushion the contact of the valve train. The noise, while louder than stock, does not seem to be detrimental. Fairly common too, I understand.

I have reserved myself to the fact that it will always be there until I rebuild the thing again, and look at the runout and end play.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
FWIW, sometimes when you change to a free flow air fiilter, stage 1, Big Sucker, etc, what your hearing is your injectors cycling. Lust my .02:whatever:

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
LE PEW said:
I dont know about your -2$en#e-, but your avatar is pretty hot ........
It's WWII Nose Art, and my .02 is a fact. I put the stock A/C back on mine and it quieted down considerably. Again Just my .02:whistle:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
What brand and weight of oil are you using?? The noise may not be lifter but think about this for a moment.

If your piston to wall clearance is off abit when it gets warm you may find the the piston is not expaning as much as the cylinder. If you add the spring you can bring on the oilers faster which will only cause the piston to be cooler and not grow and you will get more piston to wall clearance. If the machine was done in correct like more taper in the bore due to over excessive force on the cylinder while boring you can get this as well. Type od piston used, bad batch of pistons. Material used to make piston, and so on.

We just found a problem like that in a bike here now. Many things can cause the issue.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
RoadKingCurley said:
Lust my .02:whatever:
Sorry Curley, jokes aint funny if ya gotta 'splain them.
You "Lust your .02" and I lust the nose art chick.
No offense intended. :xhere:

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am using stock pistons. Never took apart. I think I am going to try some
hd b lifters & see if any change. Rocker end play looks alittle loose maybe.I poped valve top cover off last night. would this do it?
Also when turning engine over when hot I can here something but stops when it cools down. Cover doesn"t seem to be hitting rocker arm. How much clearance should you have here. If its rocker arm end clearance why didn't it do it before. Both rockers seem the same.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What are B lifters? are they for the twin cam b motor? I thought the lifters for twin cams were the same for the twin cams. I would like to try this. What about a part no? thank you guys .....

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
HARLEYRIDER155 said:
What are B lifters? are they for the twin cam b motor? I thought the lifters for twin cams were the same for the twin cams. I would like to try this. What about a part no? thank you guys .....
"B" lifters are the lifters used in later model bikes. The "B" is just the number in the part number that designates the newer part.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
HARLEYRIDER155 said:
18538-99B - Hydraulic Lifter.
$19.16 each from Zanotti's H-D:brows:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I hate to get way off topic, but the rocker end play is interesting. While doing my Feb. cam/head install, my rockers seem to float a lot more than .0025" I'm a toolmaker, seemed to me it was more like .005-.015". Should have checked more closely, but didn't. Had SE204 cams before, had the clatter. Now TW37G, same .510 lift, same clatter. New AMS lifters, adj. p-rods too. I get a lot of clatter that comes and goes with throttle settings. Not ping or knock, seems like valvetrain. Now, if you have more than .0025", what do you do? New rockers or supports?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
"The noise seems louder on primary side of bike towards front and under gas tank."

My bike was doing the same thing after a cam/gear installation last year. I was sure it was the front lifter or something in the valve train. It turned out to be a leaking exhaust gasket at the head.

Roy

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
HARLEYRIDER155 said:
when I adjusted lifters last time when turning motor over on high part of lobe back & forth I can hear valves closing. Is this right.
could this be just the ramp of the cam? It only has 510 lift. Almost ready to go back to stock but it wasn"t all that quiet before.

The way you worded this is a little confusing to me. I just wanted to check that you weren't setting your lifters while the lifters are on the cam lobe....They should be on the cams base circle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts