V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some recommendations...

Having passed 40k miles this season on my '01 RG (FLTRI), I figure it's time to convert to gear drive cams before the Motor Company's chain driven version leaves me stranded.

Riding is often two up on rural highways and mountain roads. Of course, I'd like more torque, but I'd also like more snap in the throttle.

I'm running with Stage I, V&H Dresser duals, Wild Pig cans, Revtech DFO.

Any success stories :D(or disappointments :thumbsdn:) out there?

TIA
Dave

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Check out one or both of the engine related sections, plenty of talk about cams and such. I've been following several threads and taking notes for the build I want to have done on my 06 Ultra.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I had my first set wear out at 12,000 miles and at 24,000 miles I checked the second set and they looked like new. My intent was to go to gear drives if they were worn out again but decided against it because based on how they looked they will last a long time. I put on about 20,000 miles a year so I will ride 2 more years before check them again. My guess is your chains will be smooth so future wear will be less.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
gear driven S&S 510's or Andrews 37G's will give you nice torque and maintain ridability.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
I have basically what you have....a Touring model with MM injection, the Stage I kit, a DFO, V&H Duals, and slip ons. I ride two-up alot and heavily loaded on trips several times a year. I put Andrews 26gs in mine this summer. It runs great.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I got 34k and plan to go to gear this winter. You can inspect the chain, which is fine way to maintain your bike. But I would rather just forget about it, and not worry about.

Other then cost I have not heard any reason not to go gear. Anybody else?

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
gear drive cams

I have them on both my 95" and my 106". (2004, 2005 respectively) IMO the only way to go. No regrets. The 95" has 37g cams & the 106 has the 50g cams.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Question: I'm looking to go to gear drive. Is it possible to install this without doing any cam, etc. change? In other words, just install on stock engine setup.

I know....I know....while I'm in there upgrade cams. But I'm not that mechanically inclined and budget wise, not possible at this time.

Nevermind: I believe my question was answered in http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68986

1 - 9 of 9 Posts