V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which cams will produce the best overall torque and hp from a TC88 with no internal mods and VH BSS, Kuryakyn hypercharger and a PClll? I may have the heads ported at some point but doubt I'll ever go to a 95". Mainly want to get rid of the chain drive for peace of mind and pick up what ever extra power I can with out a complete build.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Andrews TW-21 or TW-26 may be a good choice but you're not going to realize a lot of low end power gain using those pipes. If you are dead set on them, I'd suggest you look into the thundermonster baffles http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/dynotest.html which will let you regain some of the power you're losing while keeping the drag pipe look and sound.

The reason why you don't see many people porting their heads and NOT doing the 95" bore is because it is so little more money for a lot more performance to go 95". Flat top pistons can be had for about $100.00 and stock cylinders rebored for $100.00...the labor rate is basically the same.

So if you're thinking of doing the heads someday, I think ruling out the big bore is foolish.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've done it both ways and doing everything at once is way cheaper and much more satisfying. Leave her stock until you're ready for the complete build.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SEDELUXE05 said:
@gree: dont waste your money twice if you go with cams now and do your heads later more than likely youll need another cam. so take your time and do it right
seahag is correct about the pipes. i have bss on my deluxe and after doing a lot of research im going to switch them out. good sounding pipes tho. im building the engine for power and would like to get what i paid for.
What you guys are saying makes sense. I'll probably wait then and do the heads with the cams. But I keep hearing how bad the V&H BSS are for power. I thought short of a 2into1 they were the best of the drag pipes? What ever I do I'll probably keep them, I like the look and the sound, I just don't think a Deluxe would look good with a 2into1.:hmmm: :puke:

Joe

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SEDELUXE05 said:
your probley right but it will be hard to see when im way out in front of em:hystria: :woohoo: :boobies:
Funny, but if I want to haul ass I'll ride the R6:xhere: :spank:

Joe

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I would tell you the same thing if you called me to buy parts. Save your money and do the deal once and be done. The 26 would be ok now but not work very well in a 95.

The 37 would work better when you go 95 but would be a turd with stock comp ratio :puke: SO you are at a catch 22. I have done a few of the small cams in the 88 and they are not very happy and end up spending more cash than waiting.

Save your pennys and do it up right.. How does that go?" bring it around, bring it down town" By sponge bob square pants.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
HDWRENCH said:
Save your pennys and do it up right.. How does that go?" bring it around, bring it down town" By sponge bob square pants.
I'm seriously disturbed that you know anything about spongebob sqaurepants Wrench:265: #@SasF#

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
:harhar: HE lives in a pinnapple under the sea :yikes:

Two kids and hell yea I watch it with them beats the news LOL

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
Now thats just wrong!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
jasilva said:
Which cams will produce the best overall torque and hp from a TC88 with no internal mods and VH BSS, Kuryakyn hypercharger and a PClll? I may have the heads ported at some point but doubt I'll ever go to a 95". Mainly want to get rid of the chain drive for peace of mind and pick up what ever extra power I can with out a complete build.

Thanks,
Joe
hey joe.
as painfull as it is to have to wait to do it all at once,i feel as do the other guys. its better to wait and have all done.thats exactly what i'm doin now.between xmas and my tax return,i'm goin with the 95",heads,cams and carb all s/e.i would like 100/100. i fgured i weigh about 165,so that should be plenty.all my friends that have b/t and weigh more, i always beat them b/c they out weigh me by 50 or so pounds.i can't wait.i'm not even goin to tell them i'm doing it. one day i'm just gonna be like,"WANNA GO?" and look at thier expression,well i will when we stop.:D ?prty:
but anyway be patient bro,and u'll thank ur self and us when its done. ride safe and fast.
jay.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Good Advice

They are wise to suggest waiting, and you'd be wise to heed their advice. I bought the SE 203 cams and rode for two years. Then I went with the big bore and heads and had the wrong cam; so I dealt with lots of pinging and had to add octane booster all through that riding season. Then I got the proper cam for 10.5 to 1 compression and things were better but not fixed....The following year (this year) I bought an adjustable ignition so I could properly time it and had it dyno tuned.

I've learned damn near everything the hard way....Don't be another:loser:

I could have saved a lot of money doing it all at once, with a proven package; and not had so many headaches.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely do it all at once. I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about pipes, Is there a better choice for drag pipes than the VHBSS? I know the 2 into 1 pipes perform best but I'm willing to give up a little performance for the look/sound of the drag pipes. BUT, are the V&H pipes the best?

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
jasilva said:
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll definitely do it all at once. I'm still waiting for an answer to my question about pipes, Is there a better choice for drag pipes than the VHBSS? I know the 2 into 1 pipes perform best but I'm willing to give up a little performance for the look/sound of the drag pipes. BUT, are the V&H pipes the best?

Joe

Did you look into the thunder monsters I linked to? There are several members at Harley tech talk who put them in their big shot shorts and were very happy with the improvement in performance and sound. Since you already own the pipes, it is only a small investment for you to see if you can live with them.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked out that link and saved it. I'm probably going to get them. I just am curious about the V&H pipes as far as what the knowledgeable wrenches think of them compared to other drag style pipes.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
jasilva said:
I checked out that link and saved it. I'm probably going to get them. I just am curious about the V&H pipes as far as what the knowledgeable wrenches think of them compared to other drag style pipes.

Joe
IMHO the best 2-2 short pipes are the Bassanis.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts