V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2010 Street glide 106
Getting my heads redone with stage 2 85cc chambers. I am staying around 10.2:1 compression.
The heads will come with 650 lift valve springs. (Wonder if I should get a slightly less)
I am currently running a fueling 543 gear drive cam and a Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1 exhaust.
I am considering a cam swap. Thing is, I am hoping to do it without having to buy a complete gear drive kit as I already have gear drive cams. So that will eliminate all S&S gear drive gear drive kits from what I can tell.
Any gear drive cam suggestions from Andrews or other manufacturers for a touring setup that would work and not have to buy a complete kit?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You can buy S&S gear drive cams without gears. Press off of old cams, press on to new cams.

I went from 37Gs to 585Gs. 585 would be a milder cam for your application since you have more cubes. Or some version of the newer grinds. So many different numbers. Definitely look into the Easy start variety.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Cam recommendations are best asked to the head porter and/or the tuner. The pipe, typically left out of the discussion, is equally important to reach a goal which has not been stated.

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cam recommendations are best asked to the head porter and/or the tuner. The pipe, typically left out of the discussion, is equally important to reach a goal which has not been stated.
Hi Don,The pipe is a supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can buy S&S gear drive cams without gears. Press off of old cams, press on to new cams.

I went from 37Gs to 585Gs. 585 would be a milder cam for your application since you have more cubes. Or some version of the newer grinds. So many different numbers. Definitely look into the Easy start variety.
I have ACR's so don't need the easy starts. I am curious about your comment about being able to buy S&S cams without the gears. I called S&S and they said the only come with gears unless I misunderstood.
If you have a link as an example that would be great.
I saw the 37G you mentioned, 585 and the 570. Not sure if they all come in gear drives..

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of Andrews cams come in gear drive and do not include gears
So are the gear drive cam gears interchangeable, for example would the gears I have from my fueling cam be able to be used pressed on/fitted to other cams like Andrews and S&S cams?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
When I bought my bike in 08, it had Andrews 37Gs with the S&S gear drive kit. Bought separately, but from the same Indy. From the day the warrantee wore off in 2001. I went for the S&S 585 cams without the gears, after a few other mods to suit the Zippers full CNC stage IV heads that also came with the bike.. I swapped the gears from the old cams onto the new ones. Been in there doing just fine since 09, about 65K miles. The gears have over 100K total.

All those other gear drive cams from whoever, they more than likely use S&S gear drive kits.

What you can get now, IDK. You used to be able to buy the full gear kit for whatever brand of gear drive cams. You used to be able to buy the individual gears. You used to be able to buy undersize and oversize gears to correct tight or loose backlash.

A simple search showed me this. But do your own research.

S&S Gear Drive Gears for Twin Cam® Engines (zippersperformance.com)

Maybe S&S didn't/doesn't want to keep up with all the different permutations. Early style, late style, hybrid, etc. Maybe since the change to hydraulic tensioners and the crappy crank they put in now, they decided it wasn't worth their effort anymore. Or maybe you talked with someone that wasn't supposed to be on the phone. ????

You would think S&S would know. I would find someone that has a dealership and work through them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Like anything else Harley, there are special tools for doing this right, and/or the easy way. Not 100% necessary, if you have the experience or know exactly what you are doing. Lots of shops will just buy new cams with gears, because it's less time for them and the customer is paying.

It's one thing for XYZ company to have their own designer cam. Some might even grind their own cams. Most just do the numbers and farm the manufacturing out to a real cam company. Gears is another matter. Andrews makes trans gears. You would think they would do their own cam gears. Not. S&S cracked that nut long ago. Why reinvent the wheel?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You always had to buy everything to get gear drive. Meaning cams, inner and outer gears. You don't have to buy everything set up and ready to go. You can get the S&S gear drive kit and anybody else's gear drive cams and roll your own.

Since he already is running a gear drive setup and would like to reuse the gears he already has, he wants just the cams. I don't know what setup he is running. Early or late. He just said Feuling 543 gear drive. I'm assuming it is late version since it is a 2010 and he didn't say anything about switching to an early setup. Unless he is willing to change everything, he needs cams for the setup he already has. Then it is a simple matter to press the gears off his cams and onto whatever he ends up going with.

I know S&S did sell their cams bare, maybe they don't anymore. Their web site is only showing complete kits. That is a question I would let an S&S dealer answer. They should have more information.

Anybody else's appropriate gear drive cams will work with his his gears. He might need some new keys.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
R&R too. I always had my eye on their 615 cams. Just never thought it would be enough of a difference to justify the change from S&S 585s.

OP go back and reread post #3.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts