V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What does cam gear noise sound like when you have more than the ideal backlash at the pinion gear? I've been chasing a clinking metallic sound on my new motor build since I first started it up. I've ruled out exhaust leaks, body work, primary etc.

I bought a mechanics stethoscope and put it in about every possible area I could get it in. When I put it to the cam cover I could hear a little clinking but I could hear it best right at the Y joint of the header pipe at the rear cylinder. The sound is most pronounced at idle and seems to fluctuate with the RPM's. and seems to disappear after 2K or so. It's not a constant thing but is there most of the time. It almost seems to lope along with the cam. I had someone else ride it and you could hear it as he pulled out of the parking lot.

Other than that the bike runs great but this clinking is driving me crazy. Any ideas on what this might be?

Thanks,
Rick

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
The noise from gear cams is a whine or a whirr that can change frequency with rpm's. It doesn't "clink". Clink. Wasn't he a German POW commander..........:whistle: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I've heard that if the lash is excessive they can make a clicking sound. Mine did when I moved them by hand, so I changed to a bigger gear and eliminated it. But I've never heard one click so I can't be sure about it.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I'll have to say I got lucky also as mine is as quiet as the chains were. Actually I put new AMS lifters in and I think it's quieter than it was with the chains as I think the lifters were making a little noise before the switch. But I also tried to make sure my gears fit the best I could get them to.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
skippy49 said:
I'll have to say I got lucky also as mine is as quiet as the chains were. Actually I put new AMS lifters in and I think it's quieter than it was with the chains as I think the lifters were making a little noise before the switch. But I also tried to make sure my gears fit the best I could get them to.
I thought mine were very quiet also but now I'm beginning to wonder if this noise I'm chasing isn't related to the gears. Did you have any clicking at all when you moved the gears back and forth by hand?

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
eglider05 said:
I thought mine were very quiet also but now I'm beginning to wonder if this noise I'm chasing isn't related to the gears. Did you have any clicking at all when you moved the gears back and forth by hand?

Thanks,
Rick
Yes I did have a click when moving them by hand before the gear switch. But after installing the oversize gear, I didn't have it anymore and I could tell just by turning them by hand, the fit was probably as close as it could be without binding.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
Check your cam cover clearance!

I just did this, and had to take a dremel and grind down one of the ribs on the inside of my cam cover a little bit. The gear drive takes up more space than the chain stuff originally did.

Put a little modeling clay (I used sink putty) on the inside of your cam cover at the spots where it looks like it might be tight. Then, put the cover back in place to make an impression on the clay, and grind out the spots where it looks tight.

I hope this helps.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
Just a wild guess..
Nothing to do with gear drives.
Take all the chrome shielding off your exhaust and start looking for a crack on your exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flyer said:
Just a wild guess..
Nothing to do with gear drives.
Take all the chrome shielding off your exhaust and start looking for a crack on your exhaust pipe.
One of the first things I did was to change exhaust from a 2-1 to the stock head pipes to try and get rid of the noise. Pretty much the same with both exhaust systems.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike H. said:
I just did this, and had to take a dremel and grind down one of the ribs on the inside of my cam cover a little bit. The gear drive takes up more space than the chain stuff originally did.

Put a little modeling clay (I used sink putty) on the inside of your cam cover at the spots where it looks like it might be tight. Then, put the cover back in place to make an impression on the clay, and grind out the spots where it looks tight.

I hope this helps.
Wouldn't you think I would hear the noise right at the cam cover?

Thanks,
Rick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts