V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a 2006 night train and i wanna change the light bulbs
to all red led or blue led can this be done is there repalcement bulbs
and also is there any tacs out there for these bikes theres no spot to put them the only one i find is the spedo and tac and its 500 bucks at the dealer
any comments?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I asked the same question a while ago for my '06 NT http://www.vtwinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67455. Here's the answer I got from Harris:

Harris said:
It's fairly simple.

The bulbs have a silcone boot over them that gives them their color. You can buy different colors at the dealer. Then just disassemble as if you were going to replace a bulb. If you want white light, just remove the boot that is there. If you want a different color, remove the amber boot, and install the boot you want. If you find that your guage has a newer "micro" bulb, and you don't have the right sze boot, just install the boot loose over the bulb, it will still have the same effect.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
did you ever do it or find out of the dealer has them? i would have checked it outmyself but there closed for the weekend and if you did do it hows it look
i would post pics but i dont pay for this yet and dont have paypal, power to the trains,......

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
No I haven't had a chance to do it yet.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i would like to install red leds or regular lights scence my train is black cherry
also do you have a tac on your bike? i cant find one that will look good i was thinkin of the tac and oil psi gauge on the valve cover but looks bulky
what are your thoughts .....

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
No I don't have a tach on my bike, but I want one. Knowing what RPM's I'm running under different conditions is very handy. Personally, I like the speedo/tach combo from HD. Yeah, its a little pricey, but its very clean. No bulky gadges sitting ontop of my handlebars. I'm currently saving up to get one.

No clue on the oil presure gauge. Don't consider that info something I'd be worrying about and/or monitoring while riding.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
interesting topic... I just got done making my '03 speedo light up blue with a red needle and I'm about to crack open a tach and speedo for an electra glide to make the illumination red.

there are no bulbs inside... all 2mm surface mount LEDs... loads of fun to solder by hand! not.

I may offer the guage color change as a service.

I want to do a few more first to be comfortable with the job.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I'm about to crack open a tach and speedo for an electra glide to make the illumination red. there are no bulbs inside... all 2mm surface mount LEDs... loads of fun to solder by hand! not. I may offer the gauge color change as a service. I want to do a few more first to be comfortable with the job.[/QUOTE said:
I am about to tackle the same project myself. If the price was right, I would let you "get comfortable" with my gauges...:hystria:

Seriously though, do the EG gauges like to come apart? Working with the circuit board is not that bad if you can get at it without breaking apart the gauge!!

Brad

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
interesting topic... I just got done making my '03 speedo light up blue with a red needle and I'm about to crack open a tach and speedo for an electra glide to make the illumination red. there are no bulbs inside... all 2mm surface mount LEDs... loads of fun to solder by hand! not.
You got any before/after pics of the circuit board? How about the thing all put back together and lit up?

There are lots of different types of 2mm LED's (different voltages, amps etc). Where did you get yours? Radioshack? Part number? LED Specs? I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun. Got any tips/steps for this mod? Thanks...

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
petrock said:
You got any before/after pics of the circuit board? How about the thing all put back together and lit up?

There are lots of different types of 2mm LED's (different voltages, amps etc). Where did you get yours? Radioshack? Part number? LED Specs? I'm pretty handy with a soldering gun. Got any tips/steps for this mod? Thanks...
well, there's a lot to know... it's probably one of those, if you need to ask, don't mess with it deals.

The '99-'03 speedo has 10 LEDs for face illumination and three for the needle... all gull wing SMT LEDs.

The '04 and up speedo has 5 LEDs around the needle to light up everything... they look like 1210-ish case size.

Diassembly is a pain in the ass...

Here's a pic of the '99-'03 circuit board inside.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Another note: The '04-up speedo also has two side firing LEDs, in each upper corner of the LCD display, to light it up. These are difficult to access because there is a plastic structure around the display and the inicator lights, that is over the top of the side emitting LEDs too... this plastic piece can't be removed witout removing the LCD display... all 20 pins.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Anyone having problems with the gauge lights going out? A few of mine seem to last only a month or two, then off goes the fairing to replace bulbs... again. I think I've replaced the fuel gauge bulb 3 times in as many months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts