V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand of gasoline do you all use, and what Octane are you using? I am using Amoco Ultimate (octane 93). My opinion is that Amoco is the best available.
(I can't bring myself to call it "BP". I worked for Amoco for 15 years, and when BP took over, it just wasn't the same!)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Different bikes seem to like different gas.

I use Chevron or Texaco/Shell when I can, but will use most any major brand with the exception of ARCO.

I'm very partial to stations that have separate nozzles for each grade.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Chevron...

I use Chevron exclusively (if possible). I like and have had great success with their fuels.

And when only getting a few gallons, separate hoses may make a difference! I don't trust single hoses either. Who knows if that automatic valve always switches correctly?

I use premium in the bike and boat, and reg in my commuter...FWIW.

(I am biased - I have worked in one of their refineries for over 22 years)

Mitch

PS It would be cheaper for me to burn brand X. Employees only get a nickel a gallon discount...

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
My riding buddy advised me to use Sunoco Ultra (94 Octane) for my bike which I use faithfully. I use Mobil in my truck because my Bride pays the credit card bill.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
This could easily get uglier than the great oil debate. Face it, beyond the fact that it explodes when mixed with air and fire....we are relying totally on the reputation of the retailer. I go with the name brand guys and pay whatever it costs....we aren't talking that many gallons here with our 24 week Michigan riding season.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
CONOCO 93 octaine.

I try and avoid the big oil companies that rely on Middle East Oil.

·
Registered
102 Posts
O.K., now I'm really confused.

#1 Isn't Octane a stabilizer that basically makes the fuel LESS flammable ensuring that it doesn't ingnite too soon? (Causing the knocking and pinging crap)

#2 Why does a more stable fuel burn hotter?

#3 If a hotter burning fuel is better for HD engines, why is ethenol discouraged because it burns hotter?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The higher the octane the slower and cooler it burns, that's how you control detonation.

Let's not even go into the different combinations of research and motor octane you can use to arrive at the same pump octane which is merely an average of the two. This little game might be the cause the cheap ARCO fuel eats so many high performance engines.

Most US pump fuel is blended with alcohol or ether now that MTBE is going the way of the do-do bird. Most alcohol used is ethanol and all vehicles are supposed to be designed to operate properly on it, but if you ever run into a fuel blended with methanol you will have all sorts of problems. Sometimes you run into a blend the bike just does not like, all you have to do is change brands.

All the NASCAR fuel is labeled Union76, does Sunoco own them?

Around here you can buy 100 octane from the pump in a few places, and you can also buy 110 and 114 octane racing fuel out of barrels, all from Union76 stations, not specialty manufacturers.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I work in the largest Refinery on the West Coast. We produce about 120,000 to 140,000 Barrles Per Day (times 42 for gallons = 5.04 to 5.88 million gals a day) of MOGAS. All gasoline *specs* are the same (for LOCATION) The Sierra's will get a different RVP spec, and everyone knows Ca gets a special blend. We ship via pipelines to everyone -- and they ship to us when we have shutdowns, shortages, etc. It's very common to see Exxon, Shell and many other trucks loading in our racks.

What basically sets the difference between brands, is the additive package. We can buy brand X, and mix our additives, and BLAM! It's now Chevron.

We only ship Premium, and regular. The mid grade is MIXED at the pump.

I am certainly no expert, but the above I know to be true...FWIW.

Mitch

PS If you ever saw a graphic indicating ALL of the pipelines running across this nation, you would be very surprised...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts