V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In doing a top end rebuild, I nicked my base gasket surface. Any advice on repairing this before I slap it all back together? My dad suggested sand paper of varying grits with a sanding block. I am nervous to ruin the sealing surface and need machining work done.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,427 Posts
Is the imperfection on the edge is what you are talking about,then just remove the high point without disturbing the rest of the mating surfaces.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that edge; sorry I forgot to mark it, I fixed the photo. How would you suggest going about taking the edge down, though?

·
Premium Member
4,779 Posts
I'd use a fine tooth file then finish with emory cloth and finally scotch brite

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
sandpaper and or after a file depending on how tall it is,,, just knovk the high edge down...
you can also use a tiny ball peen hammer (8oz) to knock it back down with gentle taps,, then finish with sandpaper wet or dry, of around 240-3320 grit

looks like a pry bar divot,,, i use a rubber hammer to knock stuck cylinders loose.. im famous for leaving no mechanics tracks on ennines ive rebuilt..

·
Registered
553 Posts
Before sanding or filing, get a piece of moderately thick steel that can be placed across that area of the case and tap on it with a hammer. The idea is it to push as much of the displaced metal back into position. If you are lucky, there will not be any need for sanding or filing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts