V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a Road King have a specfic (to it) gas tank? I would like to get my tank and front fender custom painted, but do not want to deal with any down time. Therefore, I assume I might try to buy a used tank/fender to get painted. What tank do I look for, assuming I want to stay stock? Has anyone seen a stretched type tank on a road king? Any ideas as to where to find a used tank legally?

thx, greg

·
Registered
119 Posts
Road King does have a specific tank. The FIs and carburated tanks are different and there are some differences in the years. I'm not sure exactly what. You might try eBay for a tank.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the info. Re: the fuel pump in the tank, does anyone know if it could be outside? My BMW has the pump in the tank (its also has FI) and lots of owners relocate ourside because its such a problem cleaning/replacing the filter. (why aren't things ever as simple as I wan't them to be?)

greg

·
Registered
206 Posts
eBay

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Re: the fuel pump in the tank, does anyone know if it could be outside?
Sure it could, but it would bring a number of problems with it.

It would be a serious safety issue as there would have to be a number of additional fuel lines. They are very vulnerable in any kind of minor collision.
They would be much more prone to vapor lock.
They would have to be of much higher quality if uncontained.

Not a good idea, better to keep this stuff locked away in the tank, it's not that hard to service.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
As far as the tanks, there are at least two. Over the years the only thing that changed externally is the fittings, but there are differences internally as far as the pod mounting. You have to go strictly by part#.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts