V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped to gas up my bike a couple of days ago (when prices were only $1.37 per gallon) and the damn nozzle started leaking on my paint! I stopped pumping as soon as I noticed it, but I figure I still spilled about a cup of Amoco 93 octane down the middle of my tank. The cashier said she was "real sorry", but that don't help me out.
I rode home as soon as I could, and washed the bike with S-100. Looks like all the gas came off, but you never know. When it warms up some (probably a couple of weeks) I'm going to put some good wax on all the paint - maybe that will help in the future.
Anyone else have any bad experiences like this, and what did (do) you do about it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Actually I just did the same thing yesterday. Only I was using a gas can to fill the tank that has a fresh custom paintjob. I just put the tinwork back on and really missed the sound of my new Cycle Shack mufflers so I got out the gas can and started dumping it all over the paint. Have I mentioned yet that gas cans suck big ol' armadilly dick? Part stupidity on my behalf. Anyway I had a wet terry towel at arms length so I just wiped it down. It will be fine. You shouldn't have any problems with it at all. The paint we use these days is some pretty rugged stuff. When I first started painting back in the mid seventies, the paint would screw up if you blew a snot on it. Keep it clean and waxed all the time and these little spills won't be a bother!
Sheepboy

1 - 2 of 2 Posts