V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being one who loves to ride especially the secondary back roads, a lot of the smaller gas stations on the back roads do not carry the higher octane fuels. Ran into this just last weekend here in south Texas, highest octane we could find was 89 and some stations only had 87. What do you all do when you can't get the proper octane for your bikes and you have to get gas? Is there a safe additative that can be carried when this problem arises or just not worry about it?

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
I typically don't worry about it. I will only buy a gallon or two and fill up later with premium. My bike is not modified so it dosen't spark knock with the cheap stuff.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Use the lowest octane possible as long as you get no pinging. If you are pinging with lower octane gas, carry some fuel additive with you. HD sells some as do auto parts stores.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. If you need gas you can't be too picky. A couple of gallons of lower octane gas every now and then shouldn't make that much difference.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ed Y said:
Use the lowest octane possible as long as you get no pinging. If you are pinging with lower octane gas, carry some fuel additive with you. HD sells some as do auto parts stores.

That’s the ticket. The lower octane fuel actually burns more thus cleaner than high 1's.

·
Banned
999 Posts
going to say, my 01 bagger (stock as stock can be) does not seem to suffer any ill effects when fueled with regular gas.

friggin evo's came with 8.5:1 compression,were o.k. to use 87.
tc88's require 91 and have 8.9:1 compression.
I dont think so.
compression is only bumped up about 5%, dont see where it requires a 4 octane jump in fuel.
so dont worry about it.

·
963 Posts
What most of us don't realize is that the higher the octane the slower the burn rate. A lower octane fuel will burn faster, hotter, cleaner. But a high compression engine can't stomach the faster, hotter part. I agree the lowest octane that your engine wll tolerate will give the best performance. The highest octane jet fuels ain't much more than karosene!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Im running about 11to 1 comp. I have used lower octane fuel when needed and even mine runs OK. Whenever possible I always use high octane, but lower is still better than pushing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.