V-Twin Forum banner

Gas Prices

2K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  RMC_SS_LDO 
#1 ·
Found gas today in Fort Worth for $1.95, for regular. It seems to get cheaper every day. Wonder when it will bottom out...

#4 ·
The problem is the gas prices go up and everyone gets pissed off. Then when they start to come down everyone is so happy that they forget they're still getting screwed. I won't be happy until they get back to where they were before the hurricanes.......I guess I'll never be happy:crying:

I hate getting taken advantage of.....75% increase in profits on the backs of Americans is criminal!!!!!!

Regular is in the 2.30 - 2.40 range around here, I think. California's ridiculous taxes and all.....

Tony:gun:

#8 ·
fijfi said:
I noticed that you are in Kalifornia.....if you hate it that much, may consider moving. :D
As soon as I retire, I'm outta here. We do have nice weather, but that's it. Too much BS here for me, but was born here so here I am. Just need to find a nice place to retire to. Unfortunatley, I've got about 15 years to go until I can do that....

#11 ·
JohnHoliday said:
It'll bottom out when Mobil/Exon (the most profitable company in the world) decides it's time to take it back up. They manipulate it at will.
Wrongo. The price of gas at the pump is not set by the oil companies, It is the retailers that set the price at the pump.
In an Senate investigation committee interview on C-Span a couple of weeks back, The CEO of Exxon/Mobil said the price of oil in todays market is $35-$37 a barrel. The rest of the price of a barrel is being determined by spectulators who drive up its price thus the cost is passed on the retailers that have no choice but to set the high price at the pump.
The oil companies are setting record profits because the spectulators were bidding the price of refined oil higher and higher. The oil companies merely sell to the highest bidder. Hence the large profits.

The latest quarterly reports which show the large profits do not take into account the costs to be incurred in recovering from Katrina and the likes.

The next year or so will likely show a somewhat less profit margin if not losses from some of the refineries.

Just my -2$en#e- Just reporting what I heard.

#12 ·
RustyG said:
Wrongo. The price of gas at the pump is not set by the oil companies, It is the retailers that set the price at the pump.
Wrong. While a lot of the gas retailers are also guilty in price manipulation, it is the overall manipulation by Mobil et al that rip us off.
In an Senate investigation committee interview on C-Span a couple of weeks back, The CEO of Exxon/Mobil said the price of oil in todays market is $35-$37 a barrel. The rest of the price of a barrel is being determined by spectulators who drive up its price thus the cost is passed on the retailers that have no choice but to set the high price at the pump.
You accept the propaganda bull from the CEO of Mobil? They blame the "speculators" when they themselves are the largest traders/speculators, and then they blame the lack of refineries for the shortage when they themselves are the ones who hold back refinery construction to restrict supply.
The oil companies are setting record profits because the spectulators were bidding the price of refined oil higher and higher. The oil companies merely sell to the highest bidder. Hence the large profits.
Yeah right. The oil companies have nothing to do with influencing their profit margins. They don't want (nor are they responsible for) these prices, it's those dang "speculators" that are paying them the inflated prices for no reason, and of course they're going to take it if it's just given to them. Riddle me this one Batman, what motivation do the oil companies have to build more refineries, and increase supply, (and therefor reduce product prices), if we as a nation are going to maintain or increase the same demand ratio?
The latest quarterly reports which show the large profits do not take into account the costs to be incurred in recovering from Katrina and the likes.
The oil companies not only get to blame Katrina in part for their price increases and profits, but even if they are now among the most profitable companies in the world (by ripping us off) you think they should get to account for future Katrina recovery costs too? Sheesh!
The next year or so will likely show a somewhat less profit margin if not losses from some of the refineries.
A shame. But Mobil will still probably be the most profitable company in the world right?

#15 ·
If ya can't beat 'em, at least figure out how to join 'em. Ride your scoot when possible, get rid of the Suburban or Hummer or giant motorhome if you don't really need it, buy some good energy stocks or funds and participate in the profit while saving your coins by riding your scoot. Works fer me.

Yeah, I know....I'm caving in to the Matrix. ;)

T113

#19 ·
Honda has a 15% profit margin on motorcycle sales - Harley has a 39% margin. Is Harley taking criminal advantage?

Over time gas prices will just get worse. The US has always used a disproportionate amount of gas relative to other countries - now developing countries like China and India are saying its their turn. There's a finite amount of gas out there, and it will probably be used up within 20 years - at least from an economically feasible standpoint. No matter how many Arctic reserves get drilled. Time to start thinking about alternatives - the good old days are dead.

Gunslinger said:
The problem is the gas prices go up and everyone gets pissed off. Then when they start to come down everyone is so happy that they forget they're still getting screwed. I won't be happy until they get back to where they were before the hurricanes.......I guess I'll never be happy:crying:

I hate getting taken advantage of.....75% increase in profits on the backs of Americans is criminal!!!!!!

Regular is in the 2.30 - 2.40 range around here, I think. California's ridiculous taxes and all.....

#20 ·
OR, drive around in your 8100cc Chevy when its snowing like I do and laugh your @ss off about gas prices. Who cares? Extra couple hundred bucks, a thousand maybe a year? If you can buy the HD, a few more bucks for gas won't kill you.

Think about the guys sewing up basketballs for a dollar a day, or starving & getting shot over in the Sudan and life won't seem so bad. In my house this winter everyone will eat three meals a day and we'll all have enough clothes and heat. Good enough for me, whether gas is $2 or $4.

#21 ·
Bhawk said:
Honda has a 15% profit margin on motorcycle sales - Harley has a 39% margin. Is Harley taking criminal advantage?

Over time gas prices will just get worse. The US has always used a disproportionate amount of gas relative to other countries - now developing countries like China and India are saying its their turn. There's a finite amount of gas out there, and it will probably be used up within 20 years - at least from an economically feasible standpoint. No matter how many Arctic reserves get drilled. Time to start thinking about alternatives - the good old days are dead.
I agree, we've had it good (at least better) than other countries for a long time, but "if" the increase in profits are as a result of taking advantage of people because they can after a natural disaster...it is criminal!!!! This was a 75% increase. This was not a 75% profit margin as the norm. The comparison to HD or any other company in the regular course of doing business (supply/demand) is not the same thing.

Tony

#23 ·
Is everyone running the premium only? I have a couple of very experienced rider friends that swear they run regular and haven't had any problems. These guys ride ultras and have a lot of miles on them. I am sticking with premium.

#26 ·
RustyG said:

Just my -2$en#e- Just reporting what I heard.
I think someone should look into how many oil futures the news media executives are trading! During the gas price run up the media was hammering us every day with how high gas was going to go. What a nice way to make sure your futures go up! Then they can turn around and blame the big bad oil company's! My -2$en#e-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.