V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up here in up-upstate NY, we obviously have some very special gas--- $3.26/gal for 87 Octane. :thumbsdn:

What world "trauma" is driving the prices up right now?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I hear ya

well since gas has been $ 2.85 in the lower 48 states I've been enjoying a nice $ 3.29 a gallon this last month. Now you telling me it going to hit $ 3.79 on my little piece of paradise. Thanks a whole bunch gang!

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
here in central NC it was $3.05 in the morning and $3.08 by lunchtime.

·
Pay Up!
207 Posts
Soon it will be cheaper to invest in an electric outfit, full face helmet, etc and ride all year long!

EDIT: Oh yea, dont forget a new shiny engine block heater! #@SasF#

·
Registered
22,083 Posts
HiAngle said:
Up here in up-upstate NY, we obviously have some very special gas--- $3.26/gal for 87 Octane. :thumbsdn:

What world "trauma" is driving the prices up right now?
There are three current "traumas":

The main one is Chinese subsidies for fuel. The Chinese economy is overheated, I believe at an unsustainable rate of 8% a year? As with all of us, the "engine" of modern economies is fuel. The Chinese are artifically charging their economy by keeping fuel prices lower to their people by offsetting the costs. While that may be good for the economy, it keeps market costs from balancing natural conservation; i.e.; when gas costs $3US in China, their economy will slow to a crawl, but in the meantime, China continues the march to modernization by artificial means.

Number 2 is; artificial shortages brought about by OPEC nations limiting output by slowing production. Less product raises prices. Keep in mind that most of the largest producers; Mideast, Nigeria, Venezuela are little more than oil companies with a government as a front. They work together to keep prices high by limiting output.

Number 3 is artifiical as well; speculation. Oil is a commodity, and specultation on what the price "could" be, is driving up prices, mainly on expections for the winter, but also based on what I described above, and the potential for war in the mideast, i.e. US vs. Iran mostly.

Note the Key word is artificial in each case. Here in the US we have a similar situation as China, except the Gov doesn't subsidize, quite the opposite, they throw a tax on top. While it definitely helps with conservation, it also has the same effect of slowing the economy, and raising prices, which increases interest rates.

Keep in mind that it's the poor that really get hurt by this. While most of us are going to drive pretty much the same if the gas is 4 bucks instead of 2, the poor don't have that option. The same is true for the 3rd world who are hit particularly hard when world oil prices are artifically high, as in $100 a barrel as it is now. Put aside the artifical controls and Oil should be going for about $25 right now, but if that were the case the refineries would be squeezing out a drop at a time to keep prices up here. :(

The good news is that the current price is not supportable by the market. It's a bubble, and like all bubbles, they pop sooner than later. It is also driving the US to move to non-foreign oil sources, and that is VERY VERY good for this country. I expect the next President is going to push the US quickly away from foreign oil sources in favor of Nuclear and Bio fuels. Nothing would be better for this country from a national security and economic security standpoint. But keep in mind, that for a time OPEC will offset the actual market conservation by increasingly limiting supply. That is until OPEC turns against itself as the countries that are living off of the bubble economy begin to see their fiefdoms start to collapse. (You won't want to be in Nigeria or Saudi Arabia that day)

Meanwhile? Well, my snow shovel uses a lot less gas than my snow blower... :(

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Our new people had to be nice enough to tell everyone that a year ago we paid $2.80 for regular, now today it is $3.29. PRICKS

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Yea them SOB are sticking it to us again. And they let em keep doing it again. This is bullshit. Damn 75.00 want even fill the truck up with diesel anymore.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
jonrober said:
Is that US dollars? :whistle:
From what I'm reading there isn't much difference between $Canook and $US anymore.

·
Cruisin' on down the road
600 Posts
Actually, it closed recently at $1.00 Cdn == $1.10 US, which means we're paying approximately $4.23 US/gallon for regular gas up here. Premium is another $0.40 more. So, don't b!tch too loudly.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
As if the price to go to and from work isn't bad enough, I just got 200 gallons of Propane, which is what I heat my house with. $615.80 cash price if paid in 10 days or less, otherwise add another .10 gallon if paid in the mandatory 30 day maximum. Worse yet I used to be able to top off at 100 gallon minimum at a time. Now the minimum is 200 gallons as you see above. That is going to be a hard pill to swallow through this winter. :thumbsdn: -2$en#e-

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
My 5,040 mile trip to Monument Valley (May, June 2007) and back to Michigan cost a little over $500 for fueling my '03 Ultra.:yikes: Average price was @ $3.30 for premium fuel. Those were the daze.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
vindex1963 said:
We'll bitch and bitch loud. Watch where this thread goes.

I think it's Bush/Cheney/Rice's fault. There never was an oil supply or price problem before they showed up. Was there? Oh, yeah....there was. And then there's China and India with lots of folks coming into the oil powered world. Overpopulation? Couldn't be a problem....I got slapped for suggesting that here several years ago.

Seems like drilling where we can, new refineries, seriously cranking up alternatives (nuke, solar, wind...whatever works) where we can and conserving where we can (efficient businesses, homes, vehicles, aircraft) are the answers.

·
Premium Member
1,589 Posts
I look at it this way...

I have other hobbies besides the bike.

As gas prices go up, I start playing with my other hobbies more. Not only does this save me gas, but it saves on oil, tires, and other consumeables.

As it stands, I ride the bike to work every day it's not raining, and if I cut back on riding, then my gas bill really only goes up 2-3 dollars a month.

Because I can ride to work, it's not like I don't get to ride at all. The finace will take the bike just about anytime we go somewhere. The bike gets better gas mileage than both her XL7 or my stratus.

Now, we far feeling a little squeeze from her XL7 being her daily driver. She may start driving my stratus to and from work (even though she doesn't like cars).

I do feel bad for those that must drive trucks or something like that for their daily driver due to work. I don't feel bad for those that choose to drive trucks or SUVs to go to their office job.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts