V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 FLSTF and I feel the gas mileage should be better. I have dealer installed V & H 2 into 1 pipes, low restriction air cleaner and re-jetted carb with 7000 miles on it. My mileage is only 39 to 44, around town and/or road trips.

I have also noticed a dirty oil film covering the front cylinder breather banjo bolt and it seem to be tight, can't figure out where its coming from.

Anybody have an idea?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Most bikes seem to get around 40 mpg regardless how they are built.
Sounds like the metal seling washer is deformed and not sealing. You can put some blue Loctite on the banjo bolt.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My HD breather kit had a small hairline crack in the weld on the crossover tube. Caused the same thing you mentioned in your post except mine was on the rear banjo bolt. A friend at the dealer said he had seen that before so he ordered a new crossover for me. No prob's since. My scoot also gets around the 40's for mileage. But I like to leave the corners and the lights pretty good so I don't doubt it a bit... Good luck with the leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to the both of you, I feel better about the mileage most of the locals I talked to don't even bother checking it. I too have the HD Screaming Eagle air cleaner and breather kit, I replaced the washers but didn't think to look for cracks, I'll take another look.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a 02 road king w/ stage 1 and se slip ons. Get 40 mpg with windshield on highway trips. Slightly better, 42-44 in town, riding slow, w/o the shield and girlfriend on the back. greg

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 02 FXST, I also get around the 42mpg mark.

I was concerened at first because I rented a NTrain in FL and got 52MPG. Why would they be any different?

I have drilled out pipes and a bigger slow jet with a washer under the needle. But mileage has not really changed from the stock setup. It is faster though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts