V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see many people using electric leaf blowers to dry their bike. Does anyone see a problem using a gas powered leaf blower to do the samething. Thanks Ken

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
catken said:
I see many people using electric leaf blowers to dry their bike. Does anyone see a problem using a gas powered leaf blower to do the samething. Thanks Ken
It depends on where the exhaust is directed. I wouldn't use my 2-stroke Craftsman gas blower because the exhaust exits to the front and there is a slight amount of oil film that I think would blow on the bike.

I just use the Mr. Clean car wash system and don't have any water spot problem.

T113

·
Registered
123 Posts
-2$en#e-
Using gas/oil mixture as recommended (50:1) for a leafblower, you will get smoke. This smoke will contain oil. Now depending on which way the wind blows (if you are outside) when you are using it, you may get a coating of oil. It's even worst if you use it in a semi enclosed area like a garage with the door open, which is not recommended anyway.
I won't use the kind that is duel purpose either in gas or electric..... Ones that suck up and mulches into a bag.
Once you have used it, stones and other crap will get stuck in all kinds places, then when you use the blower, you never know when or what can come out and hit that paint job or chrome.
I would rather be safe than sorry. Stay with electric brand and get one only to be used on your bike.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
Yeah, I like the idea of washing my bike and then dragging an extension cord thru the water while blowing off my bike alot better.:whistle:

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
catken said:
Used a gas powered (LawnBoy and WeedEater) for years with no problem. Have always indicated to anybody that ask, if you've used the leaf blower in vaccum (sucking) mode be careful.... You're blower my spit stuff back out. Now that can get nasty.

o~\o

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I empty my shop vac and wipe it out, remove the filter. Then use the blower part of the shop vac. Only takes a few minutes to clean the shop vac out. I'd love to get one of those bike dryers but just can't see myself spending $250 for it. They do work great though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Blowjob

I got a brand new blower thats never been used, so Ive been trying to find a use for it. So Ill try that now. But I will check the exhaust outlet first. Thanks for the tips.

·
This space is blank
1,029 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I empty my shop vac and wipe it out, remove the filter. Then use the blower part of the shop vac. Only takes a few minutes to clean the shop vac out. I'd love to get one of those bike dryers but just can't see myself spending $250 for it. They do work great though.
Hang on man, go to J&P Cycles and lookup Cycle Dryer, little 4 lb. orange blower for $42. I have it and it works very well.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Gotta go gas....

Two of my buddies went to Wally world. They've got an electric for about $25.00 or so. They love it and "it's just for the bike". I've had a gas weed eater that I've had for years. Gotta have the bigger blower.....Gotta go gas.

Tim(not Taylor)?prty:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Personally I have a couple of those little Cycle Dryers..they in NO way compare to the Black Baron dryer.
Here about lots that use leaf blowers..personally with 20K invested in a bike I will only go with filtered air.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
kayak99 said:
Same reasons as mentioned. Gas blowers throw oil. Might not be noticable but its there.
Well, thought about this all day so when I got home I decided to do a little testing:
1) clean white shirt tacked to the fence
2) one WeedEater gas powered leaf blower (that's never been sucked with)

Results: No oil on the clean white shirt!! Even got down to within 3 inches, about the same distance I blow the bike off at.

Scientific test, Nah!!! but I'm satisified that I'm not blowing any oil on the bike....but what if there was a little?? I'm sure if you ride the highways at all your going to end up behind a good 'ol oil burner or a diesel every now and then.

o~\o

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
3Dog said:
Personally I have a couple of those little Cycle Dryers..they in NO way compare to the Black Baron dryer.
Here about lots that use leaf blowers..personally with 20K invested in a bike I will only go with filtered air.
Could you tell the atmosphere to filter the air please? j/k I use a leaf blower and I've never had any problems either. To each his own I suppose.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I use an electric with no problem at all. But, I've read the more expensive bike dryers heat the air also. This seems like it would be a great benefit, but not sure about the cost difference...is it worth it?

·
Registered
267 Posts
rrockefe said:
I use an electric with no problem at all. But, I've read the more expensive bike dryers heat the air also. This seems like it would be a great benefit, but not sure about the cost difference...is it worth it?
IMO, if you are just doing one bike then NO. Oh yeah, they do heat (warm) the air.
Since we are in the detailing business the Black Baron price is justified. If I was just doing my own bike I would just use Waffle Weaves and be done with it.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Texan said:
Results: No oil on the clean white shirt!! Even got down to within 3 inches, about the same distance I blow the bike off at.

I'm sure if you ride the highways at all your going to end up behind a good 'ol oil burner or a diesel every now and then.

o~\o
That diesel sure does make the teeth shine! :woohoo:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.