V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1981 flhs, shovelhead, that I've had for just over a year. I'm learning a lot about m/c's since I bought this bike. I just developed a new problem with my carburetor. Gas began flowing out of the overflow line. I noticed this after just starting the bike and expecting to let it do it's normal warmup when all of a sudden it started coughing and stalled out. Then the gas began flowing. I didn't know what was happening but to keep this short, I eventually tapped on the carburator and that stopped the gas flow. I got the bike running and got it home, shut it off and again the gas started to flow but this time not so fast. I shut the gas valve off and that's where this story ends. I presume something is sticking in the carb. What should I look for? Not being a mechanic...yet...is this something I can repair or should I pay the bucks and have a shop work on it? Thanks.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Float sticking
Needle and seat bad
Crap in needle and seat
Any/all the above
You can handle this yourself, pay attention to how everything comes apart and just clean and reassemble. Should set float level while you are at it.............

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bike is running again. I first took apart my carb, cleaned it and reassembled it. Same problem. So I bought a rebuild kit and replaced all the o-rings and needle valve. problem solved. Thanks again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've had that problem for years. Usually happens when bike sits for long time without running. Finally put an in-line gas filter on the bike and the needle valve has not messed up once since!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like good advice. Are these filters available at most shops or should I get some aftermarket catalogs to order from?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts