V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm riding a 96 xl1200c sportster, After riding for about 10 minutes today I stopped at the post office to pick up my mail. When I came out there was a big pool of gas under my bike coming from the overflow hose. I'm not sure what the problem is as the tank is low on gas so I assume something is stuck in the carburetor.

Any help would be great!

-Nathan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It only leaks when it's on, it stops when I have it set to off.. I'm pretty sure the carb is stock. It has standard HD logos stamped on it.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Your float needle is messin up. When the level of fuel in the float bowl reaches the correct height, the needle will rest on its seat and shut the fuel to the float bowl off. You either have a swelled needle tip (its rubber like) or a piece of doo-doo blocking the needle from sealing on its seat. You can buy a new needle at the dealer. In the meantime, a quick band-aid would be to turn the gas on, start the bike, shut the gas off once the bike is running and allow the bike to run out of gas (the petcock is off). Now turn the petcock back on, the float bowl will be out of gas and the fuel entering past the needle sometimes will wash away the debris that may be causing it. You still should remove the float bowl and install a new needle (under $20), clean the bowl out, and change the fuel line in case it is the cause, sometimes it's a small piece of the rubber hose coming apart on the inside. You do not need a new carb.

·
FXR
117 Posts
also, a good inline filter may prevent it from happening again after you clear the mess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts