V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rattle when I bring the rmp up at a certain level. I finally traced it down to the gas cap. Why would anyone build a gas cap that ratchets?
It does't matter how tight you turn the cap the outside portion is still loose to rattle. Any ideas? I really do not want to go to an aftermarket cap.
The way it's built i don't think that I can stuff paper up in it.

·
Registered
615 Posts
They build them that way so you cant overtighten them. But how old is your bike? maybe you just need a new one I have never heard of anyone complain about the noise they make,maybe yours is just bad.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Both of mine rattle. One of them is 1 year old - had to replace it when the ratcheting went bad. I've been thinking about replacing them with some sort of aftermarket that does not ratchet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My right one sometimes spins right off. Especially when I get up there in the rpm's. Have had to turn around a few times - the first time it flew off and landed on my foot - but I didn't know it for a couple miles when I looked down. Fuggin gas was a spewin too. I have to push down really hard on it to get it to keep from spinning off. I am running basically a 97 heritage with an 86 evo stroked to 96"....so she rattles a bit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts