V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Quest 2 that I have been using on my Ultra with a RAM handlebar mount. This setup has been working very well. I have strictly been using the Quest under battery power, but just bought a mount to hardwire it. I want to keep the flexibility of being able to remove it from the bike with the cradle. I've thought about making an adapter to run it into the cigarette lighter. Anyone have any ideas on how to hardwire the new cradle and still be able to remove it with ease?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Hi, I have the garmin 2610 mounted on the handle bars with the ram mount system. Both the quest and 2610 wire in the same way. Heres how you do it.

Ok, here is the answer. I went to the Harley dealer and they pulled up the installation instructions for installing the quest gps. Well the power connection is the same even if you wire your own and the ultra classic already has the wires there for the gps.

This how you do it. Take off your front faring. There is a series of wires that goes to the plug for your headlight. Right with those wires is a black wire and a orange & white wire with a red cap on it. Those are your power and ground wires. All you need to do is go the the hardware store and buy 2 1/4 in wide spade connectors. attach them to the ends of the wires, crimp them, slide them on. put the faring back on and you got power that is tied into the run and accessorie switch. Check your service manual so you don't over torque the tork screws.

I routed my wire right through the same hole the wiring harness is on the left side of the handlebar right into the faring.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I understand how to hard wire the unit through the fairing. I'm trying to find a way that it can be hardwired, and I can easily remove the GPS and cradle when I don't use it, leaving not much evidence that there is a GPS onboard except the handlebar ball mount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts