V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed a Garmin 2730, I chose it because it included a full featured GPS and XM Radio reciever. I use the built in FM radio transmitter so it plays though the H-K radio. Works great, I can listen to XM radio and both the intercom and GPS directions breaking in when needed. You can set the unit to chose small and or medium roads (as preferred) when you want to get off the super slab. I'm using the supplied power cord and XM radio antenna. When I stop I just pop the GPS, power cord and XM antenna into the tour pack.

Thought I'd start a new thread instead of hi jacking an existing one. Photos attached

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Looks Good!

Yeah, the more I look at the 2730, the more I like it. I am presently using a 2610. I know a guy who works at the Garmin HQ and he loaned me a 2730 that I have been using in my car for a few days. I'm impressed. I just might sell the 2610 and buy a 2730 to put in its place.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been drooling for one of those. I've used my GPS-V for nearly 3 years now, and although it works well, I really could use the large color screen and more memory. Satellite radio too? Wow. Kinda pricey though. What would really be cool would be if they could integrate a radar detector into it too.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I also like the looks of the 2730, that is the first unit I have ever considered swapping my 2610 for(actually I would probably keep both)

At the present time, the price is ridiculous on the 2730 however so I will wait a few months until it is available at a reasonable price(the way the price drops on these things, it won't be that long to wait)

~John

·
Registered
14 Posts
How well do these Hard Drive based units tolerate the vibration that comes thru the handlebars or fairing on a harley. I found out the hard way that an Ipod certainly won't last if mounted to something that vibrates!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
jfritz_drfritz. said:
How well do these Hard Drive based units tolerate the vibration that comes thru the handlebars or fairing on a harley. I found out the hard way that an Ipod certainly won't last if mounted to something that vibrates!!

Very true, with a hard drive I would not give it long to live on a Harley, I have the 60GSX. it' uses flash memory and is waterproof, and about 1/3 the price. I also have Sirius radio, the Starmate Replay is pretty cheap right now and is pretty compact and I have Stern haha.

I had a GPS II, III+ and then a V, they are all wonderful units, never had a problem with them and Gamin is great about software updates etc.

I went with the 60 because it has the new Sat recever that is more sensitive when you are undercover or in a canyon. Got it on eBay for just under 400.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Not just XM

capn_buzzcut said:
I've been drooling for one of those. I've used my GPS-V for nearly 3 years now, and although it works well, I really could use the large color screen and more memory. Satellite radio too? Wow. Kinda pricey though. What would really be cool would be if they could integrate a radar detector into it too.
Not just XM, but it also has 750MB of memory for MP3s too!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Not Hard Drive! Solid State Memory!

jfritz_drfritz. said:
That is why I went with the 2610 over the 2620, because I had the same concern about a hard drive.

Well, the 2730 has solid state memory, not a hard drive! This has got to be the best GPS for a Harley yet. The only thing I can think of now would be voice recognition so you didn't have to push buttons. But that might be a while off.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I don't think the 2730 is hard drive based or it wouldn't be rated for motorcycle usage.

I have the 2610 and love it. With a 2GB Compact Flash card, I have everything preloaded. Don't have to worry about internal memory going bad or a micro drive.

But I might have to check out the 2730 when they come down in price.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I don't think the 2730 is hard drive based or it wouldn't be rated for motorcycle usage.

>>the 2730 definitely does not have a hard drive

I have the 2610 and love it. With a 2GB Compact Flash card, I have everything preloaded. Don't have to worry about internal memory going bad or a micro drive.

>>that is the same setup I have & I LOVE it

But I might have to check out the 2730 when they come down in price

>>me too

~John

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fritx you really had me worried for while. I would not want one with a hard drive in it. Athough others have said that they did not have trouble with the hard drive in theirs.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
NCR52 said:
Is the 2720 a hard drive also?
Neither the 2720 nor the 2730 is hard drive based. The 2730 has more extra features than does the 2720.

T113

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Comparison link

Here is a good link for comparisons

The other feature that is great is the POI loader which can be used with the HD Dealer zip file found elsewhere on this forum to load the locations of most of the H-D dealers in the US.

Its not cheap, but its still cheaper than the H-D GPS add on for the H-K radio has readable map, more features AND it includes the XM reciever and antenna.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
joediver said:
Here is a good link for comparisons

The other feature that is great is the POI loader which can be used with the HD Dealer zip file found elsewhere on this forum to load the locations of most of the H-D dealers in the US.
I'd like to get that file if someone has it or has a link to it.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.