V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thinking about taking the gps plunge. the garmin customer service recommends the 2720 over the 2610 because the maps are already loaded. is the extra $225 for the 2720 worth it? any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I went with the 2610, and couldn't be happier. With a 2GB flashcard, all the maps can be put on the 2610.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
I know the 2610 has a flash card vice a harddrive. Don't know about the 2720 but I would not get one with a harddrive. They tend to not do well with vibration.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
bbrowncods said:
I know the 2610 has a flash card vice a harddrive. Don't know about the 2720 but I would not get one with a harddrive. They tend to not do well with vibration.
2720 and 2730 are both flash memory.

T113

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
2610 uses a compact flash card. Buy a 2GB compact flash card you have the same capacity as the 2720. You can load ALL of the maps with room to spare.

Buy.com has a 2GB compact flash card on sale right now for $55 after rebates.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
2610 works for me could not be more happy with it. I use it in mike truck and on my bikes. The Ram mount set up works great with it. good luck

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I have a 2610 too and love it. Been using it in my truck for a couple of yrs now and just bought the mount for my bike. No regrets at all and did the 2 gb flash card and loaded the whole country and canada

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
mbkodiak said:
The 2620 is a hard drive system and not recommended for motorcycles.

Exactly. I have two GPS units. I use a 2610 on my Harley(& LOVE the thing)

I decided to buy a second one to leave in my truck. I recently bought a 2620 because I found a brand new on on ebay for $400 & that was cheaper than a 2610 & 2 gig cf card, but I will never run that one on the bike.

~John

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
ddwyer said:
thinking about taking the gps plunge. the garmin customer service recommends the 2720 over the 2610 because the maps are already loaded. is the extra $225 for the 2720 worth it? any thoughts?
I had a 2720 for a short time, I returned it after 1200 miles & went back to using the 2610 that I love.

For some reason, Garmin removed a bunch of the user customization options in the 2720(they dumbed it down)& the new features are useless selling gimmicks IMHO.

~John

·
Registered
307 Posts
Some advantages that the 2720 has over the 2610 are: full text to voice capability, a brighter higher definition screen, 25% faster route calculation times, will store considerably more waypoints (2000 versus 500) and will allow for custom POI's with proximity alerts.

With the text to voice capability of the 2720 you never have to look at the screen while navigating a route. The 2720 actually verbally announces the name of the road to turn on, example: "In 500 feet turn right onto Main Street." whereas with the 2610 the voice will say: "In 500 feet turn right" in which case you will look at the 2610 screen to see the name of the street you need to turn on thereby taking your vision off the road. If you try both methods, as I have, you will probably prefer the 2720 method, I certainly do.

I have the 920 USA/Canada Harley dealers loaded in the POI database this includes their address and phone numbers with the 2720 set to alert me when I am within 5 miles of any dealer. It will also give me a list of the 50 closest HD dealers to wherever I am, starting with the closest one. Once you load the Harley POI list a Harley logo appears on the 2720 map screen showing where each Harley Dealer is located. You can select any Harley Dealer on the screen or POI list and push the "Go To" button and the GPS will route you directly to it. Fun stuff while on the road. The POI feature is a very valuable one and has other uses as well.

For around $170 more (maybe less) you could get a 2730 which looks like the 2720 but includes an XM radio receiver, MP3 player and FM transmitter. If you're listening to your XM radio or MP3 player the GPS voice guidance will interrupt when appropriate and then return to your music listening. If you're considering an XM radio too this could be a no brainer.

You can also connect the 2610/2720/2730 voice output to your radio's Aux input with a patch cable so you can hear route guidance information thru your bike's audio system. The 2730 will pass the XM and voice guidance combination signals as well.

The 2720 can be had for about the same price as a 2610 with a 2 gig memory card.

The 2720/30 has flash memory, does not need a memory card and comes preloaded with City Navigator NT v7 mapping.

The 2720/30 are the latest models in the series that includes the 2610.

I think it all gets down to what features you will really use and enjoy the most.

This thread would be a lot more valuable if 2610 users would comment on exactly what features the 2610 might have that the 2720 does not that may make the 2610 a better unit?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
2610 vs 2720/30

I own a 2610. I also had the pleasure of trying out a 2730 (my son loaned it to me for a week).

I choose the 2610.

Yes, the 2730 has XM radio and is an MP3 player. It also has the 3D view and it audibly identifies the street you need to turn on (most of the time). Those are nice features, but the real reason I have one is for the GPS features themselves. And the 2610 GPS features are far superior.

If all you want to know is how to get from here to some other place on the fastest route possible, then the 2710 would be great. And you can subscribe to a feature where it will steer you around traffic jams. But most of the time I want to ride where traffic jams don't happen. I'm more interested in planning a route using via points. For instance, if you want to get from Kansas City to St Louis, the 2710 will put you on I-70, through Columbia, MO. That is the fastest way. But I don't like to ride on interstates unless I'm in a hurry. Let's say I do want to go to St Louis via some other route besides that one. With the 2720/30, I would have to put in the first town along the route and let it take me there. Then I put in the next town, and let it take me there. Then the next town, and let it take me there. This cannot be done ahead of time, but rather has to be done as you go because it will only plot a route from where you are at the time to where ever you want to go.

With the 2610, I can use it in my easy chair before I go on the trip and I can plan the whole route via what ever towns or hiways I choose to use. And I can go ahead and plan the return trip via different hiways so I don't have to travel the same route I took getting there. The via points are very easy to edit along the way if desired. Try as I could there did not seem to be any way to do this sort of thing on the 2730. As someone else posted, the GPS portion of the 27xx is dumbed down.

So my verdict is to use the 2610 and an IPOD for my music. Yes the combination costs more, but the power of the GPS is worth it. I also have the 2GB CompactFlash card so all of North America is loaded.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Bigbluff;

Great post, that's just the type of side by side testing that help those of us still looking. For my money, I think the 2610 will be the ticket.

:cheers:

Mike

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I also use a 2610. The voice prompts don't concern me because I never use them. I'd throw the unit out of the window if I couldn't turn it off when using it in the car.

I'm pretty sure the 27xx series can use "via" points on routes but you have to do it using the MapSource software. It will store 50 routes that can be uploaded from MapSource. But you can create routes on the 26xx units using via points without the MapSource program.

Both are great units. I would probably still buy a 2610 because it has less internal parts. What I mean is, if the internal detail map memory screws up in the 27xx, I have to send off to Garmin for service. If the map memory in my 2610 screws up, I replace the 2GB compact flash card with another one which are between $50 and $75 from Buy.com. I carry the 128MB CF card that came with the unit as a back up but have never needed it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
On my 2610, I like the fact that I can load different routes and maps on different cards and insert them when I want to, instead of depending on the internal memory. I also carry my laptop with me sometimes for changes to routes on a separate card, then just insert it in the gps the next morning. I have had mine for almost 3 years ( paid too much to have the latest toy) and use it in my car and on my Ultra. No problems at all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
With the 2720 you can quickly create and upload customized routes/maps with your choice of roads from your PC/laptop directly to the 2720 thru the USB port or create routes on the fly just by using the unit. It is easier, faster and more efficient to create the routes on your PC if you want custom routes than doing route planning on the unit itself.

Via points to any custom or auto-route can easily be added from the 2720 without Mapsource it is just a little different process than on the 2610.

The program used to create 2720 routes & maps is the same one (Mapsource) you would use with the 2610 or any other Garmin Street pilot unit.

The 2720 will store at least 50 custom routes.

2720 comes with all detailed North America maps preloaded in it.

The amount of screen that navigation data occupies is not a problem. I can always see more map screen than I need while navigating.

The 2720 does not need memory cards it has built in flash memory. I have never heard of the internal memory failing in a 2720/30.

I really like using the voice prompts, allows me to keep my eye on the road so I don't have to look at the screen to see where my next turn is. This was especially valuable when navigating thru downtown Portland, OR for the first time, in rush hour and in many other intense trafffic situations. In general I find I much prefer having the voice guidance than not. Hard to miss a turn this way. Once you have voice guidance working you can alsways turn it off at your option although I can't imagine why you would. The 2720 has an improved way of delivering the voice directions over the 2610, in that it gives street names in addition to the turn distances, very useful if you're going to use voice navigation.

I have over 800 waypoints/favorites saved, the 2720 holds 2000. The 2610 is limited to 500 so it does not meet my needs.

There is also a traffic avoidance function available in 2720/30 units, this quote from a user sums it up pretty well: "I have a 2730 and live in Orange County CA. Travel all over LA and find the traffic part of the 2730 to be great. I cant tell you how much time it saves. The auto reroute is the best part of the system. But just knowing that there is traffic between me and where I am going and how to avoid it is great".

INSTALLATION TIPS:

2610-2720 USERS:

To get the voice guidance information from the GPS thru your Ultra radio system using the Aux input on the front panel of the radio and 12VDC hardwire hook-up you will need: Garmin Part No: 010-10495-02 Motorcycle power/audio cable: http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp...0-10495-00

This is what you will need for a patch cable from the above wiring harness to your radio Aux jack on the front of your radio (covered by a small rubber plug):RadioShack PN 42-2420A Patch Cable; RadioShack PN274-374 Adapter; RadioShack PN 274-327C Adapter. The adapters go on each end of the patch cable, it will be obvious where to plug them in, suggest you heat shrink the adapters on the cable.

On a 2006 Ultra with the premium audio system you will also need the following parts: PN03205 & PN03208, to eliminate ground-loop, in addition to the above, from here: http://www.electricalconnection.com/...filter-gli.htm

2730 USERS:

You will need a Garmin 2610 (yes 2610) motorcycle hardwire cable part number: GC12v26 from cycoactive.com

We used this cable to get the audio information from the unit to the bikes Aux input, part number SP-SPSC-7from: http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cg...item/SP-SPSC-7 it has right angle connectors.

If you have a 2006 Ultra with the premium audio system you will also need PN03205 & PN03208mentioned above.

The XM antenna with it's magnetic base mounts and works fine on top ceter of the radio case under the fairing, put a few dabs of silicone around the edges to keep it from moving. You will not need the Radio Shack parts mentioned above.

12VDC hardwire power hook-up: we have used the back of the cigarette lighter under the fairing for a permanent hook-up. We have also put a male cigarette lighter plug available from Radio Shack/ auto parts suppliers or marine dealers (stainless steel) on the end of the hardwire cable to make it removable.

Highly recommend this Garmin 2610/2720/2730 locking mounting bracket part number 010-10495-01: http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp...0-10495-01

If you use RAM products to mount your GPS on your bike I would recommend adding RAM locking knob part number: KNOB3L available here: http://65.102.174.119/rammount/searc...&Subm it.y=14 Use of the Garmin bracket above and this knob will go a long way to preventing theft of your GPS unit.

If you have more than one external audio source these companies provide parts/services that will fully integrate your GPS/radar detector/cell phone/Ipod/MP3 player etc.into you bike's audio system, if you want to explore that approach:

1. http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....ctID=CFRG-HRUC

2. http://www.tesseractcorp.com/

3. http://www.goldwinggadgets.com/

4. http://www.cellset.com/Motorcycleitems.html

I have been using a GPS on bikes for 6-7years starting with the original Garmin Street Pilot. The 2610 has been around longer than the 2720 so there are more 2610 users. I like the extra features and capabilities of the 2720.

There is a constant evolution of these GPS products. There is no perfet motorcycle GPS today. Some features that were on my 5 year old Street Pilot III are missing from the the 2720 that are sorely missed but the 2720 has some great features that the SP III does not. Such is life.

The 2720 gets the job done just fine and is my pick now. If you want to add a GPS and XM radio to your bike the 2730 combo unit can't be beat.

There are Garmin 2720 factory refurbished units on the market now that have the same factory warranty as a new one at reduced prices, I have not seen refurbished 2730's yet, probably a question of time. I would not hesitate on getting a refurb provided the dealer has a reasonable return policy.

History proves that whatever you buy now will be trumped by something better down the road soon, so....

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
After checking all the sites available, it seems the 2610 is soon gonna be discontinued. The 2620 has already stopped production. The price dropped drastically on the 2620 just before it was shelved and the 2610 seems to be following the same route.......

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The fact that the model will soon be discontinued is great for consumers looking for a good deal. I recently picked up a brand new 2620 to use in my truck for under $400 so I wouldn't have to keep switching my 2610 back & forth between my bike & my truck. The 2620 was almost $1000 not too long ago. A 2620 is no good for M/C use because it uses a hard drive, but it should work fine in my truck. Both units will easily accept routes/waypoints/custom designed routes on MY CHOICE of roads etc from my laptop which is great.

The 2730 looks to be an awesome unit for a bike but only if Garmin adds back the "transparent tabs" option(& some other customization options) that they stupidly eliminated in the 27** series units(I won't even consider a newer unit until they add this option back in). It was because of Garmin eliminating important features like this that caused me to return the 2720 I used for a while as a waste of money. You want the largest usable map area you can get(especially on a bike & the lack of that feature eliminates about 30% of the usable map area.

There is a BBS all about Garmin products & it is jam packed with complaints about the newer Garmin units & how they have been dumbed down/features eliminated. The new units seem to be aimed toward novice users & have eliminated features that experienced users will be quite upset about. These features can be added back with a firmware upgrade, but so far at least Garmin has been unwilling to do this.

The ONLY difference in the voice guidance between the 26** & the 27** units is that the newer units will announce "turn left in 500 feet on Madison Ave" instead of "turn left in 500 feet". Since the older units are clearly displaying a pop-up on the screen telling you the street name to turn on to that you can see at a glance, this is a rather inconsequential difference IMHO.

The other new features such as 3D viewing are just useless selling gimmicks IMHO. 3D viewing for example gives you almost no info on the roads around you to the N-S-E-W & is really pretty useless I found. I tried it for one day & never used it again. The BBS users all seemed to agree on that point also.

~John

1 - 20 of 80 Posts