V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I know this is a biker forum, but I have been stuck at the house for many months and decided on trying another garden. Sure I have been riding, but every place was closed so what to do. At first I was going to make a row of tomatoes and cucumbers. My daughter in law next door wanted to plant more so I bought a used front tine tiller with reverse.

The last plot I had didn't have good drainage as hurricane Florence drowned it. The land here in Nakina is a drained swamp with ditches running every which way like in south Florida. This time I made one on a slight slope behind a horse barn and horses been pooping on for 20 years. Sounds good right? Wrong as the average horse weighs 1200 lbs and the ground is harder than a ministers d*ck during baptism time.

This is my little garden. I say mine, because I'm not getting much help out of those who wanted more plants. Well she is a good cook and I look at it like a trade off.

There are others on this forum who not only have gardens, but have flowers and what not around the house. I have caught glimpses of yards in pictures of bikes. Y'all could flash one of the whole yard wouldn't tell me where you live.

I see one of these pictures has my $1800 Jeep in the shot. I came in for awhile, because of the heat as I am replacing the power steering pump and gear.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,586 Posts
My wife has plants all over the house, but fails big time at gardening.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife has plants all over the house, but fails big time at gardening.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I have seen some of your yard not much in the back 40 maybe make a baseball field to have less to bush hog. Then there was the side of your house next to the driveway. What impressed me most was the grass had been mowed.

Sent from tarheel

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
We have strawberries in some raised boxes I built... They were looking great this year up until a few weeks ago when the berries were getting pink. Then the damn chipmonks stole everything!

Got a 10 mile capacity electric fence charger and ran wires around each box, hoping this works to keep them away. Gives a mighty bite when you hit both wires!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Mine still has pretty small plants because of cold nights it but is starting to go now.
Here is one from a couple/few years ago when Bode was still around.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice, beans on a fence good slope for drainage a few flowers in the mix and the man's house in the background. I bet you miss your dog helping you around the yard.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Captain,
That is a nice healthy looking garden.
Since folks are posting pics of good vegetation, I can't help but show off the garden plot of my wife's efforts. We haven't had a real garden for approx. 7 years. She is retiring this July 4th and knew she would be able to take care of it this year, so she got with the program and planted food and flowers. Never knew potato blossoms were so cool looking. She waters everything in the morning with coffee cup in hand,,, it's her joy.Had to throw in a pic of the patio fireplace. It's great in the cool weather to sit out there with a rip-roaring fire with friends over for food and drink.
IMG_5880.JPG
IMG_5881.JPG
IMG_5882.JPG
IMG_5883.JPG
IMG_5885.JPG
IMG_5886.JPG
IMG_5889.JPG

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Captain,
That is a nice healthy looking garden.
Since folks are posting pics of good vegetation, I can't help but show off the garden plot of my wife's efforts. We haven't had a real garden for approx. 7 years. She is retiring this July 4th and knew she would be able to take care of it this year, so she got with the program and planted food and flowers. Never knew potato blossoms were so cool looking. She waters everything in the morning with coffee cup in hand,,, it's her joy.Had to throw in a pic of the patio fireplace. It's great in the cool weather to sit out there with a rip-roaring fire with friends over for food and drink. View attachment 265825 View attachment 265826 View attachment 265827 View attachment 265828 View attachment 265829 View attachment 265830 View attachment 265831
Idk know what I like better in those pictures the green house, flag stones maybe the round window on the house. That patio and fireplace would be great with a hooka pipe.lol
Here are a couple tomatoes I picked this morning. There were more, but they in the spaghetti sauce. Try planting sweet potatoes the plant has a purple hue and the flowers are beautiful.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I think the round window you are looking at is actually a large clock! Even tho we don't partake, I can picture a hooka party on the patio. We've had many large and small parties incorporated with the patio, no matter how cold. High heat, fire season is a no go.
You must plant fairly early to have ripe maters already. We planted late for the maters, so we have a ways to go. We remember my wife's dad used to come over and after a short visit in the house, he would grab the salt shaker and head for the garden. He would come back in about ten minutes later with mater juice running down the front of his shirt. Would eat some of the prime maters. We got to where we would pick before he came over.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the round window you are looking at is actually a large clock! Even tho we don't partake, I can picture a hooka party on the patio. We've had many large and small parties incorporated with the patio, no matter how cold. High heat, fire season is a no go.
You must plant fairly early to have ripe maters already. We planted late for the maters, so we have a ways to go. We remember my wife's dad used to come over and after a short visit in the house, he would grab the salt shaker and head for the garden. He would come back in about ten minutes later with mater juice running down the front of his shirt. Would eat some of the prime maters. We got to where we would pick before he came over.
I don't have a greenhouse I have a spare bedroom I call the chit room, because my wife has boxes of stuff we might use someday that we won't ever use again. My OL bought a bookcase in a yard sale that I use in a south facing window. We don't have any books anyway. Spring usually starts about March 15 here, but I don't plant anything until the 1st leaf shows on the grape vines.

I have been thinking of trying hydroponics. The initial cost of pvc pipe is right expensive for startup, but it is a one time expense. I made a 6' sprinkler a couple years ago and just the pipe and 3 caps was $20.

What with a hefty thunderstorm about every day the bug population has exploded. We have the distinction here of having bugs from the south who can't go further north, because of the cold and northern bugs who can't go further south, because of the heat. I use a 26 oz bottle of Dawn mixed in a 15 gal sprayer on my golf cart that will kill any insect with an exoskeleton. Every plant in the world has a particular bug that only eats that one plant. I haven't seen a tomato worm on something else. This year I planted parsley to dry my own. Yesterday I noticed a little stripped caterpillar eating the leaves never saw that one before either. Have trouble with japenese beetles plant a yellow rose bush easy to kill them as they like the yellow flowers compared to the leaves on the grape vines.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
We have strawberries in some raised boxes I built... They were looking great this year up until a few weeks ago when the berries were getting pink. Then the damn chipmonks stole everything!

Got a 10 mile capacity electric fence charger and ran wires around each box, hoping this works to keep them away. Gives a mighty bite when you hit both wires!
2-3 years ago I rigged a low power fencer up to my bird feeder to keep the Squirrels away from it. The little fuggers learned pretty quick to scavange the left over seeds the birds drop the ground. I highly recommend :)

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
Roses... freaking roses. I can't get a rose bush to flourish for the life of me. If they get anywhere close to doing something near what they should the fuk'n deer or ground hogs eat the tops.

·
Premium Member
6,927 Posts
2-3 years ago I rigged a low power fencer up to my bird feeder to keep the Squirrels away from it. The little fuggers learned pretty quick to scavange the left over seeds the birds drop the ground. I highly recommend :)
That's actually a good idea as long as you stay away from it when drinking.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
We tried to get rid of some rose bushes. Dug them up and threw them across the street into the ditch by the railroad tracks. Next year they were blooming. Crazy.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So are you an essential worker? I haven't seen you post since the last time you posted whenever that was. I only have 1 squirrel he is a lonely animal as I haven't seen another. I feed the hummingbirds, but not the seed eaters as my cats have a fondness for robins and catbirds. There are a couple who like to play with copperheads and rattlers until they are dead. I find the corpes next to the carport. Bird feathers and a couple legs too.

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roses... freaking roses. I can't get a rose bush to flourish for the life of me. If they get anywhere close to doing something near what they should the fuk'n deer or ground hogs eat the tops.
Get the biggest bottle of hot sauce you can find and mix with water in your sprayer. Preferably a bottle of Korean hot sauce found at Walmart. Save your eggshells let them dry out in a grocery bag outside crunch them up and mix with your soil mix. Fill the hole with water before planting when the water is gone drop 3 cardboard matches in bottom of hole before planting the bush. If using the Korean sauce wear gloves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts