V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody get the HD Garage Door opener for Xmas? I was looking over the instructions (yeah I know..."why ya doing that??") and I'm trying to figure out why they want it placed in such a funky spot. When intalled on the FLHR, it's suppose to be mounted on the right side by the neck...fully visible when you're parked and yer bars are turned to the left...the transmitter is kinda butt ugly. I was thinking of mounting it under one of the side covers....

Anyone with any tips/tricks???

T-Bone

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Nope, I use the MotoFX opener. www.motofx.com BIGDO Their product has been reviewed by AMA, Hot Rod Bike, American Iron and they were a H/D Forum site sponsor.

No transmitter exposed. You use the turn signals to open & close the garage door with the BIGDO. Live and learn.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I tinkered with a remote for my garage door. Hid it in the nacelle with a micro switch. Worked great umtil I buttoned it all back up. I think the nacelle shielded it too much. Darn. LOL.

·
Registered
287 Posts
"I think the nacelle shielded it too much. Darn."
Was the nacelle metal? I was thinking of trying samething in a Road Glide fairing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Got the H-D garage door opener last X-mas for my Dyna, it mounted under the seat, & worked just fine.
Traded for an FLHTCI this spring & transferred the transmitter, mounted under the front fairing. Works great! will open the garage door from 1/2 block away.

'02 FLHTCI

·
Registered
428 Posts
Shoveler,
Yes, nacelle was metal of some sort (my chromer couldnt figure it out though). It worked outside just fine

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I also have the Motofx BIGDO (built in garage door opener). Work perfectly at my apartment building. Just ordered another this afternoon (they actually answered the phone) for my new Suzuki sv 650.

·
Registered
305 Posts
T-Bone,

Santa was good to you! I think you could mount it under the sidecover and it would work fine. I use an extra transmitter from Sears where I soldered two wires into the circut board out to a small button switch - mounted the GDO with velcro on top of the radio of my Ultra - works just dandy through the plastic fairing.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I made my first one like Cold Rider described. Had it under the seat in the hollow spot in front of the battery box. Worked fairly well for about two years, then rattled apart.

Wife bought me the HD version. Mounted up front, it has a lot more range than my home made one did. I mounted it all the way forward, and you have to be looking for it to see it.

Got a transmitter for a second bike as well. It was more expensive than the home made one, I just hope it lasts a while.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Motofx install question

After reading the favorable reviews, I installed the Motofx garage remote today. I hooked the green wire on the unit to the violet wire on the loom under the seat. I installed the blue wire to the brown wire, the red to the red/white or Number 2 wire as designated on the plug and the brown to ground. It now opens the garage door without a hitch. Well....almost.

Now when I press the fob on my HD alarm, it also opens and closes the garage door. what did I do wrong? Any suggestions? I followed the instructions from Motofx to the letter, but perhaps their instructions don't cover bikes with the HD alarm or perhaps I don't know how to read. Either way I got the same result.

Please help!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Call MotoFX Marilyn. She doesn't have a life. (Tell her Jim says she doesn't have a life and it's OK to call on New Years Eve. She'll like that!!!! :D ) No kidding.

You can call MotoFX at any time. Even tonight.

Betcha you'll catch Marilyn and she'll be able to help ya'. Do you think you have any possibility of getting through the H/D?

Let us know what Marilyn suggested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny you said that about Marilyn, she just sent me an email with a question about the HD alarm. I'm not sure it would be fair to say anything about her not having a life since I'm here reading email. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hi Phil, happy NY! My alarm also will trigger the garage door, however I never worried about it since I park far enough away (apartments) that it doesn't cause it to open when I set the alarm. Let us know if there is a cure. (mine is wired to the turn signals and the alarm flashes them when armed and de-armed).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Motofx Fix

Greg,

Happy New Year to you too.

Looks like Jim was right; Marilyn responded on NY's Eve so I guess we're tied for "no life."

The fix is to hook it up to the hi/lo beam instead of the turn signals. When the alarm flashes the turn signals, it sends a signal to the garage opener. I don't know if it's as easy to wire the device to the headlights, but for today I'm just going to watch some football. Both of the universities where my wife got her degrees are in a bowl (USC and Oklahoma) so we have a legitimate reason for being couch potatos today.

I'm looking forward to putting more miles on in 2003 than I did in 2002. We'll have to hook up for a ride. I've added some more goodies to my bike and more is on order.

A safe, healthy and happy New Year to all.

Philip

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies....I was away in Vegas all last week so hopefully this weekend I'll try and install the opener.

T-Bone

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I have the harley davidson garage door opener as well. It owrked fine on one opener but when I transfered the unit to my new opener is jerks the door for a second then starts the blinking the light. I know it is hooked up correct on the bike because i didnt change that part of it. I couldnt find the directions for the unit. It seemed simple. Theere is only 2 wires and a plug. The problem is that there are 4 places to attach the red and black wire to on my opener? Anybody still have the directions for theirs? I would really appriciate it if somebody could help me hook it up again. My wife is really getting mad as what ever i did caused it to do the same thing when she uses her car remote as well. Her "bitchin" caused me to remove it for now. Help

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
What you really need is the manual for the opener. The two wires that attach from the Harley unit simply go to the terminals that you would attach a keypad or such...............Don

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I also bought the H-D opener and it works great. Yep, it costs more than some aftermarket types, but the key words are ... "it works great".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts