V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have an inexpensive system that works on a "normaly closed" design.

I had made a alarm that had used a motion detector that turned on a outlet that had a ac convertor. once the convertor got juice it would send 12v dc through the telephone drop wire to the pole then back to my house and turn on an old car alarm siren in the bedroom.

This would have been fine but if a guy were to cut the line going to the pole it wouldnt work.

I have some normaly closed switches. I just have not come up with an idea to make this work without a whole house type of system. I know this is what insurances is for but.....

Buzz

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I have two Dalmations

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
But Jim, They'll lead a thief right to your KIA!:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hide the phone line in pvc. run a dummy phone line that is twisted off. acting as NC switch, and leave it exposed and pretty to cut. They cut the dummy line and the real line still works.

This also works on House systems, monitored or not. Cutting the phone lines sets off the alarm.

A friend of mine used a baby monitor to give him peace of mind, he had bells and stuff to make noise when doors were opened and such.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Radio Shack has several options for wireless applications.
Check them out.
or
Sleep in the garage

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
park the bike in the bedroom.
put the wife in the garage,if she is anything like mine they would be a fool to break in :O

·
Registered
875 Posts
when mine is not locked up inside I have wireless camera on it,,,,,,,,,seen those x10 camera pop ups, thats what I have. They work good

·
Registered
552 Posts
Close connect your monitor to a flush mounted wall box and fish the wires through the wall again a NC contact will work best. Also put a very loud outside audible alarm on your roof so those wires cannot be accessed easily.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got one now. When somebody opens the garage door and tries to close it real quick the alarm stays on until reset (same for if they cut the line)

The brother-in-law had a vision and came up with this. http://home.wi.rr.com/skullweb/garagealarm.jpg It works pretty good. All it is made out of is an automotive 5 post relay switch, 12v dc power source, normaly closed magnetic switces, car alarm (or anything that'll ring or buzz off of 12v dc). and a few control switches. I hope that you understand the schematic (I don't totaly)

Well this info is worth what you paid for it. I thought I'd just share it with ya.

Buzz

·
Registered
162 Posts
Checking my post on disc alarms when I saw this thread. Wonder if an alarmed disc lock or something else that gets triggered by movement stuck on the door might work? The door goes up, the alarm moves and off it goes. Cheap and simple solution. And when you leave with your bike, you take the lock with you. So you use it when you're home and when you're riding. Just a stupid idea but I wonder....

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have one of those motion detectors that turns on the flood light in front of the garage and simultaneously turns on a light in the living room and bedroom. I could hook them to a radio but cats have a tendancy for setting off the lights. I have a garage door opener and a roll up garage door. Saw a home security segment on HGTV and purchased a lock for the inside of my garage door. (when the latch is thrown it prevents the door from rolling up). This also disables the door opener if I attempt to open it without "unlocking the inside lock" . The bike is chained to the frame of my boat and I have installed an anchor in the cement just in case I'm at the lake instead of riding. Next I just need to take a couple of blue pills and I'm set. Be careful about dalmations. I understand the breed is known to be deaf.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't hav4e any power in my garage, so i cut up the floor and sunk a Kryptonite super stronghold into about 160lbs of new concrete. Along with a Kryp NYC chain & lock, a disc lock, a remote pager, and a .308 Winchester. If that doesn't work, they can have the friggin thing. There's always insurance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts