V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just knocked out mile 7500 on my '05 FXSTSI and it's due for it's 2500 mile steering head lube and adjust.

Up until now I have had the dealer do the 500, 2.5k, and 5k checkups. Now that the warantee is over I'm satisfied with getting the proper tools and doing whatever work I can (especially if it's a matter of pumping a grease gun;) ).

The greasing is a no brainer, but as far as checking/adjusting the fall away are there any tricks or issues I should be aware of that the service manual doesn't cover? The FXSTS instructions do not mention the need to disconnect any cables as the other models do. Is it really unnecessary on the FXSTS?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
Mossy Cup said:
I've just knocked out mile 7500 on my '05 FXSTSI and it's due for it's 2500 mile steering head lube and adjust.

Up until now I have had the dealer do the 500, 2.5k, and 5k checkups. Now that the warantee is over I'm satisfied with getting the proper tools and doing whatever work I can (especially if it's a matter of pumping a grease gun;) ).

The greasing is a no brainer, but as far as checking/adjusting the fall away are there any tricks or issues I should be aware of that the service manual doesn't cover? The FXSTS instructions do not mention the need to disconnect any cables as the other models do. Is it really unnecessary on the FXSTS?

Thanks in advance
I'm planning on doing the same thing. I'm not sure about the FXSTS, but I'm told that on my bike disconnecting the cables isn't really necessary because the front end is so heavy. I think you're probably OK, too, just so long as the cables don't appear to be preventing the wheel from turning freely. Otherwise, it looks pretty straight forward.

I have a question, though -- where can I find one of those special steering head bearing adjustment tools? I've looked just about everywhere. Snap-on had one at one point, but I can't seem to find it in the current catalog. Same with Jims. If anyone knows, or has an alternative to the tool, let me know.​

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I just ordered the tool from Hale's H-D, who knows how long it will take.

I'm taking the cables off when mine's due, the clutch might take about 20 seconds and the throttle...thinkin' maybe 5 minutes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts