V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 FXST is in need of new rubber, and I'd like to go with either Avon or Metzeler. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with either brand tire, and what is the largest tire size I can put on the rear without making alterations?

Thanks....

Bikester

·
Registered
24 Posts
Essential Rubber

Although I can't advise on fitment size, I am a big fan of Avon Venoms. :thumbsup: A rider needs utmost confidence in their rubber and I get that from Avons, plus they seem to come with a generous tread depth bonus to start with. Interestingly, Avon recommend running 36 psi in the front, as against 30 for the standard Dungflop.

However, Metzs also have loyal fans, so I guess you should take your pick :dunno: (no help, I know!)

·
professional doof
690 Posts
i have a set of venoms on my '05 and love 'em. the really stick the corners well. i think i have about 3k on htem now and they're showing very little wear. as far as size i went with a 150 on the rear, keep in mind that is with a 2" drop in the back. if i remember correctly 150 is as wide as you can go withour doing any mods. take a look at her... http://www.v-twinforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=7608 . by hte way :welcome: . do us all a favor ang go to the "my story, the begining" thread ( http://65.38.172.84/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73 ) and introduce yourself.

josh

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I'm a fan of the MD880...but Avon is a good substitute for the stock dunflops and don't let anyone tell you they don't last, mine had 11.5k on 'em with half of that 2-up...just keep them inflated properly. Your riding and cornering confidence will go way up!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used to have a avon venom x 150/16 on the rear until I got caught in a rain storm while touring, I had about 4000 miles on the rear and it was not wearing well but looked like I had enough tread but was hydroplaning pretty badly in that rainstorm, I won't go back to avon venom x's anymore. I now have a 160/18 metzler me880 on the back which I am very happy with has about 6000 miles on it and will need replaced in the next 2500 miles. I put well nuts on the strut bolts and cut them off as well as centering the rear wheel and it fits fine with very little clearance. This is on a 01 FXST

Peck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the input. Per some of your recommendations, and after doing some homework with my parts supplier, I'm going to go with the Metzeler 160/80-16(ME880) in the rear. I'm told my bike should be able to go up one tire size in the rear with the Metzeler versus the standard Dunlap. I'll keep the front tire the same size, but match it with another Metzeler.

**FYI-anyone reading this post, the Metzeler website has an on-line tire chart. Note the disclaimers that come with the tire chart too.

BTW-Apache I'll stop by the welcome wagon once I get a photo up.

Thanks...

·
06 NightTrain
289 Posts
i have avon and had no problems what so ever. great tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Velcro said:
i have avon and had no problems what so ever. great tire.
Avon's got my vote:thumbsup: I just dumped my first set of Metzler ME 880's and switched back to Avon's venom. Metzlers seem to handel just as good as the Avon's in the turns but I noticed a considerable differance when having to panick stop!!! Ya never know when some cager is going to pull out in front of you when you least exspect it. :yikes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would have been just as happy with Avon, but Metzeler's website had a tire chart for my bike (since I wasn't sure whether or not I could go up a size in the rear). Out of curiosity (and for future information), what year and model is your bike, and what size Avon's are you gents using for your rear tire?

Bikester

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
TJW said:
Avon's got my vote:thumbsup: I just dumped my first set of Metzler ME 880's and switched back to Avon's venom. Metzlers seem to handel just as good as the Avon's in the turns but I noticed a considerable differance when having to panick stop!!! Ya never know when some cager is going to pull out in front of you when you least exspect it. :yikes:
My personal experience with panic stops, (which are all too common in the DC area) have all been controlled stops with very good adhesion and little skidding with the ME880 but we all have our preferences...

·
Registered
54 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
My personal experience with panic stops, (which are all too common in the DC area) have all been controlled stops with very good adhesion and little skidding with the ME880 but we all have our preferences...
I'm sure in the D.C area your not getting up to the speeds I travel at here in Newhampshire. So what you may call a panick stop with very good adhesion and little skidding just doesn't sound much like the panick stops I have exsperienced with several brands Avon being the best.:beatdh:

·
bp central Ohio
38 Posts
I have the Metzlers 880 front and rear on my 02 FXST. I put the 140 on the rear but next time I will do the 150, it'll fit stock. I really like theses. They ride and handle Great.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
I'm also running Avon Venoms on my 2000 FXST. Nice and sticky, and don't wander on painted lines like the stock dunlops did. I'm sure the Metzlers must be good as well, I liked their Tourances on my BMW GS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts