V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Never seen anyplace where a Shovel could be ordered instead of an EVO....
Need a Pic of that VIN.....
[/QUOTE]
The same model(s) on the showroom floor were offered with either.
"The Shovelhead engine is a motorcycle engine that was produced by Harley-Davidson from 1966 to 1984,"
" The engine could still be found in certain models such as the FLH in 1985, but was shortly replaced by the succeeding Evolution engine." wikepedia. Sheesh, google is your friend.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Never seen anyplace where a Shovel could be ordered instead of an EVO....
Need a Pic of that VIN.....
The same model(s) on the showroom floor were offered with either.
"The Shovelhead engine is a motorcycle engine that was produced by Harley-Davidson from 1966 to 1984,"
" The engine could still be found in certain models such as the FLH in 1985, but was shortly replaced by the succeeding Evolution engine." wikepedia. Sheesh, google is your friend.
[/QUOTE]
Already Acknowledged that the Shovel was Standard past 1984 even... Don't need no Google nor even Interweb for that!!!
Saying that the Shovel mill could be substituted for ...say a 1984 FXR is decidedly Not the way of it...
Don't care whose web **** says so... again... back it up...show the VIN!!!
No... the same models were never offered... side by side... with either...
I do indeed own a 1984 FXSB... guess what, could only get a Shovel.. but... in 1985... could Only get an EVO
Facts and Google may Not always agree... huh??
BTW ...as I stated... the Shovel Engine was available in some contract 1985 FLH police bikes... so... that is also a mistake... huh
Any Argument... Must be backed by a verified VIN.... Please... Not google... Thanks

·
Super Moderator
19,565 Posts
Back in 84, I saw 84 production FL's that came with shovel heads, 5 of them, all police bikes for the local county Police.
At the time it was explained that many fleet operators had asked that they have another year before making the switch to evo's, so as to budget for training and tooling. If it was done on FL's, the same was prolly done for the fleets using FXR's.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
"No... the same models were never offered... side by side... with either... "
Maybe not in small dealers in the farm country of the mitten, but in the Detroit metro area, they were indeed. You have to understand at the time H-D was still operating on a shoestring after the buyout. Operations at times were day to day. Some things were done out of necessity. Early in the model lineup some had Shovels and the later ones Evo's, not uncommon for a dealer to have both on the floor. Several guys over on the FXR pages (FB) have 1984 FXR's with Evo's. They don't have a agenda, but you should realize they don't want to put a vin# on the net. Would you? I have no reason to doubt them, and I know what I witnessed back then. A guy I know Robert has1984 1/2 FXRS it has a transmission with the oil filter screws onto the transmission case, but a shovel type mainshaft and clutch and EVO motor and it was built in June of 1984 according to him. I realize you don't care about "whose web **** says so... " or others claims, but if you expect me to "back it up", you must do the same.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I would like to see the 1984 FXR with a Shovel...from the Factory... something I have never witnessed...with the matching Shovelhead VIN!!! Early Softail???... I have heard of, but never witnessed that either..1985 Shovelhead FLH[p]?? Yup
'84 Shovel FXWG?? yep, FXSB also... 1985 FXWG???? Nope... Evo Only again..
Suffice to say... While I have never even heard of a 1983 EVO.. in 1984 they were in the Rubbermounts...all of them
and in the Softails that I have seen, or actually had documented also...All of the original 4 speed frame models still had shovels of Course..Only the Police Contract FLH had a Shovel mill by 1985...and precious Few of those..
While Folks on the Internet make it sound Random.... it is as simple as outlined above..Rubbermounts got the EVO first...and there was Not an option [from the Factory] of a Shovelhead in it's stead..
A VIN check would reveal Zero 1HD1EA [or EB] K models...Which would Indicate Factory Shovelhead..
yet I do Own a 1HD1BFK..... and there will,be Zero 1HD!BFL... VINs
What the Dealerships did???? From Experience...whatever it took to sell a Motorcycle.. Good times really...

·
Registered
589 Posts
I can`t prove anything as far as FXR Shovels in 84, i have not seen one yet.
But back then i owned a "Special Edition FLHX" 1984 Shovel 4-spd. E-Glide.
Stock belt drive, spoke wheels and painted cream white with hand-made gold pin stripes.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I can`t prove anything as far as FXR Shovels in 84, i have not seen one yet.
But back then i owned a "Special Edition FLHX" 1984 Shovel 4-spd. E-Glide.
Stock belt drive, spoke wheels and painted cream white with hand-made gold pin stripes.

I would like to see the 1984 FXR with a Shovel...from the Factory... something I have never witnessed...with the matching Shovelhead VIN!!! Early Softail???... I have heard of, but never witnessed that either..1985 Shovelhead FLH[p]?? Yup
'84 Shovel FXWG?? yep, FXSB also.
.. 1985 FXWG???? Nope... Evo Only again..
Suffice to say... While I have never even heard of a 1983 EVO.. in 1984 they were in the Rubbermounts...all of them
and in the Softails that I have seen, or actually had documented also...All of the original 4 speed frame models still had shovels of Course..Only the Police Contract FLH had a Shovel mill by 1985...and precious Few of those..
While Folks on the Internet make it sound Random.... it is as simple as outlined above..Rubbermounts got the EVO first...and there was Not an option [from the Factory] of a Shovelhead in it's stead..
A VIN check would reveal Zero 1HD1EA [or EB] K models...Which would Indicate Factory Shovelhead..
yet I do Own a 1HD1BFK..... and there will,be Zero 1HD!BFL... VINs
What the Dealerships did???? From Experience...whatever it took to sell a Motorcycle.. Good times really...
4 speeds did not get an EVO until 1985...again excepting a Special Police contract of 1985 models FLH
1984, 4-speed models Brochure...
HD1984lineup.jpg

41 - 49 of 49 Posts