V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
Thanks for posting those. I stole copies of all of them.

joe

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Harley had some nice brochures back in the day. I liked this series, where they showed old and new bikes in the same location but decades apart. I've got a few more in my collection from other models.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
No more FXR though, huh?

joe

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think I have the originals of all those brocures in a pile I just picked up! Have most all the dealer literature from the 70's-80's in there...

Man has this got me wishing I'd picked up that cherry 1-owner 86 RD that popped up locally here this spring. $6500... OOPS!

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
I think I have the originals of all those brocures in a pile I just picked up! Have most all the dealer literature from the 70's-80's in there...

Man has this got me wishing I'd picked up that cherry 1-owner 86 RD that popped up locally here this spring. $6500... OOPS!
Dammit. I told ya. I even nagged a little.

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
If you would have said you nagged a lot, I would say you're related to my wife. She doesn't know how to do little.
Mine doesn't nag. In a way that's worse, I have to be alert for looks, posture, etc.

joe

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
No more FXR though, huh?

joe
I have a small collection of early Evo/late Shovelhead brochures, including a full set from 1984 that include the FXRS and FXRT. But as far as the deluxe versions like the one I posted that have the old and new photos, I think the rest that I have are Electra Glides.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts

If you've got duplicates or want to part with any of them shoot me a PM or e-mail.

P.S. I nagged you to buy that bike too!

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
If you've got duplicates or want to part with any of them shoot me a PM or e-mail.

P.S. I nagged you to buy that bike too!
Some people's kids, huh?

joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
FXRT fairing question.

Were all FXRT fairings the same? Or was there a difference between the FXRT and the FXRP, other than the obvious extra lights on the FXRP?
I have an 1983 FXRT and am looking to replace the windshield on it.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,244 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,386 Posts
Mine's wearing a Clearview too, a 21" version.

The FXRP windshield has notches cut in the sides, to clear the grips and that area, I guess. There were 3 heights, 17", 19", and 21", IIRC.

joe

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Hey Cory. I am into mild custom , feel free to preform your art . its the best handling Harley ever. Correction, best Harley ever. don't rake them or do frame mods. I am building a vaporiser as well. And don't make them look like a softail. vomit ,vomit.
lean and mean.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I would like to add, that beside being a very talented fabricator/bike builder, Cory is one of the real Gentlemen in the Motorcycle Aftermarket World. His motorcycles are very high quality and made to be ridden. He will fit in very well as a member/contributor here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There was no 85 Grand Touring edition, it was 1986 only with 996 being procuced, 3 colors were available, burgundy/grey 2 tone, blue/grey 2 tone and midnight blue metallic which actually looks black, thanks, Larry
Anyone know how many of each color were made. Midnight Blue Metallic seems the rarest.

·
Registered
3,099 Posts
Man, sorry but you're not even in the right county.

1-All FXRs were Shovels in '82 and '83.
2-All FXRs went to EVO in '84.
3-FXRD was '86 only.
4-FXRT was '83 (I think) to '92.
5-All FXRs are rubber-mount, that's what the 'R' means.
6-All went to belt drive in '85 (I think) or '86. '84 had enclosed chain.
7-FXRD had FL style dual exhaust and (I think) a bigger saddle.

And Cory,... most importantly for custom builders to remember...
8-Anyone that adulterates an FXRT or an FXRD goes on my 'Vaporize as Soon as I Get My Death Ray Working' list.
...Just so you know.

joe
#2 not correct.
"As for the five-speed Shovelhead FLT/FXR rubber-mount models, these supposedly ended in 1983, but I have personally seen early-1984 versions and the odd late-1984 model outfitted with a Shovelhead engine." (Donnie Petersen)
In 1984 one had the choice of a Shovel or Evo until about the middle of that production year.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I've seen a Dyna with a Shovel mill also...
Only the Vin and a Letter from the Factory will prove anything
BTW the 7th letter in the VIN would need to be a K
ie 1HD1EBK
Like all Shovelhead FXRS's
EAK for FXR of course

as far as Post 1983 Shovelhead equipped "Models" Absolutely... thru 1985 in fact had some Police contract FLH's that were contracted, as Shovelhead Mills...
Never seen anyplace where a Shovel could be ordered instead of an EVO....
Need a Pic of that VIN.....

21 - 40 of 49 Posts