V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a very nice 1985 FXRS. It appears to be very original. On the air cleaner cover it says "Low Rider Convertible".
I thought a 1985 FXRS was a "Low Glide". Is there a difference between Low Glide and Low Rider? This bike has the brackets on the back that were to hold the bags away from the rear struts, but it has no other convertible parts.

1. Was a 1985 FXRS available as a "Convertible"? Was "Convertible an option?

2. Is there a difference between Low Rider and Low Glide?

Appreciate any other info on this model.
Thanks Bill B

· Registered
18,173 Posts
Decode the VIN. That will tell you what you have.

And post pics or it never happened.

I'm just here for the beer.

· Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I recently purchased a very nice 1985 FXRS. It appears to be very original. On the air cleaner cover it says "Low Rider Convertible".
I thought a 1985 FXRS was a "Low Glide". Is there a difference between Low Glide and Low Rider? This bike has the brackets on the back that were to hold the bags away from the rear struts, but it has no other convertible parts.

1. Was a 1985 FXRS available as a "Convertible"? Was "Convertible an option?

2. Is there a difference between Low Rider and Low Glide?

Appreciate any other info on this model.
Thanks Bill B
Might have been an a/c cover swap. I think the first year of the convertible was 1989. I had a 1990.

· The Best Me I Can Be
23,031 Posts
Alan's right, the bike doesn't exist unless we see it.

You may not realize it but VTF is FXR Headquarters. The FXR sub-forum has miles of info for you to dig through.

joe

· Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nvsteve, I'm thinking you are correct as I have not found any info on 1985 convertible.

It did come with the Brackets to hold the bags out from the struts, but they could have been added.
Bill B

· Registered
1,161 Posts
Yeah, that ain't no Convertible. As mentioned '89 was the first year. Those aren't Convertible saddlebag brackets, they are just supports for throw over bags. Conv. also have the rear directionals mounted on the rear fender with the license plate, they also came with dual discs and 39mm air forks.

· Registered
543 Posts
VIN 1AD1EBL19FY120121
Still need to learn how to post pics.
Bill B
5th and 6th digits of the vin designate the model type. "EB" designates FXRS Low Glide Sport. "EM" is the designation for Convertible, which as mentioned in previous posts, the MoCO produced them from '89-'93. So, the original air-cleaner cover - or at least the insert - has been swapped.

P.S. Are you sure the 2nd digit of the vin is an "A"? I'm thinking it should be an "H", since it was produced in York, PA (11th digit "Y" designates York, PA).

· Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks V-Strum and all, just trying to learn all I can about this bike.
As for the AC cover, I'd like to find the correct one to replace the one that says Convertible. Looks like the correct one would be PN 29166-83 (trim). Any place to look for one other than ebay?
Bill B

· Registered
543 Posts
...As for the AC cover...looks like the correct one would be PN 29166-83 (trim). Any place to look for one other than ebay?
Bill B
Are you certain p/n 29166-83 ("Super Glide ll") is the correct p/n?

My search finds either p/n 29171-85 which reads "Low Glide", or p/n 29172-85 which reads, "Low Rider". Then there is p/n 29174-85 which reads, "Sport Glide" for the FXRT.

Either way, the three p/n's are obsolete and difficult to find. Good luck searching.

· Premium Member
198 Posts
This is a 1990 FXRS convt. There were three bag mounts at the rear and no brackets. They were hollow studs mounted to the bike. The bags had bolts that when tightened compressed a rubber sleeve that supposedly held the bags on. i say supposedly because somewhere along the line the bags would fall off. Many guys super glued the rubbers in and just used the screws to attach the bags. This one was mine. Couldn't even sell it for 6500 in 98 with 37k on it so I traded it for a knucklehead chopper.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.