V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing the rear tire, (not fun), want to replace bearing seals, parts book says 84 - early 85 PN 47519-83,
late 85 PN 47519-83A. How do I know which one? VIN 1H1EBL19FY120121.
Anyone have a National or Skif number for it?
Thanks Bill B

·
Registered
799 Posts
When Harley adds a letter to the end of a part number it means it was superseded , example -83 then -83a then -83b , usually a different supplier, but they interchange.

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
A good auto parts store or bearing distributor could match them up.
They can also be measured and matched.There are different sealing/lip styles,but since they are wheel bearing seals there isn't any rocket science involved.

·
Registered
664 Posts
if you went to the Harley boutique and asked for 47519-83, they would just give (or order) you a 47519-83A. Since it has been superseded, the -83 is obsolete. Parts books are good, but not the final word. They are only as current as when they were published.

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
53 Posts
A good auto parts store or bearing distributor could match them up.
They can also be measured and matched.There are different sealing/lip styles,but since they are wheel bearing seals there isn't any rocket science involved.
NAPA lists the 3/4" wheel bearing seal as a cam seal for a toyota or some other japanese motor. Doesn't matter, as long as it fits.

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
653 Posts
I was going to order a new bearing for the primary when I changed over to mids. HD wanted $21. I crossed the actual part number on the bearing and bought one for $3.45 off ebay... same exact thing.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
162 Posts
Amazon has James seals for $10 a set and USA Made Timken Bearings for $10 each race included. You will pay a lot more at Harley. Just put the Harley part number In the Amazon search box

1 - 11 of 11 Posts