V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
ridin' bikes for years
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use the nylon FXRG jacket and how do they like it for warmth and riding in the rain?

I have the leather FXRG that is nice and warm, but it very heavy.

I'm thinking of selling the leather one and getting the nylon version. Has anyone switched from one to the other?

Thanks in advance.

·
Goin' Fast with Class
372 Posts
G'day Billgran,
FWIW,
I have the nylon FXRG jacket, in addition to about 8 other jackets...

The nylon jacket is awesome. I have ridden in downpours and no water ingress. It blocks the wind brilliantly and the removable Primaloft liner kicks arse and I find myself wearing it all the time-

You may know this already but the kidney belt really does make the miles more pleasant and there are little pockets here and there for heat packs...no idea where you get them from but I use them as pockets anyway!!

I also have a pair of FXRG Gauntlet gloves and I ride year round here in Tasmania and it can get bloody cold, I can tell you. The nylon jacket and gloves are the best riding clothes I have ever purchased, myself-

My only complaint is that the rubber hood over one of my zips has broken, somehow....I bought the jacket from a VTF member and other than that its in perfect condition.

I live in the bloody thing and its heavy but not as heavy as the leather variant!!

Hope this helps-

·
TL
500 Posts
I have the nylon FXRG that I bought in winter 2004. I bought a large so I could wear layers or heated liner beneath. Sleeves were a little long so I had it altered.

This has been a flawless jacket so far. I also rode in a downpour back from Myrtle Beach for about 6 hours and no leakage. Great winter jacket as well. I don't own a leather jacket - this one serves many purposes. Great reflection also. Lots of convenient storage pockets - cell phone, gauntlet gloves, etc.

TL

·
Registered
29 Posts
FXRG nylon

We live in Eastern Canada, and the weather in any given day of riding season can go from really cold to really warm ( sometimes even hot ). We've used the FXRG cloth jacket and pants for 2 years and have found them to be an excellent poduct, waterproof, lots of pockets and zippers ( sometimes I have to search multiple pockets to find what I am looking for). In fall riding with others who are wearing leather, they are cold or chilly, and we are just comfortable and cozy.
I would highly recommed this to anyone....no problems yet, plus they have a 5 year warranty.

Growing old is inevitable ---- growing up is optional.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have one...

I don't know if it is me or what.
I'm not very happy with mine.
The snaps used to hold in the liner keep breaking on mine.
The first time I had to haul it back up to the States and had a dealer send it in for warranty work. I was without a jacket for about 4 months.
They did fix it though as well as replaced the stretched out kidney belt.
I went to put the liner in the other day and broke another snap.
Going to try and find someone local to fix it this time.
The jacket is nice though. Other than the price that is. Lots of features. Good guarantee.
But, I want a product that I don't have to use the guarantee on.

FWIW: Adding insult to injury. My FXRG gloves came apart at the seams on the first ride. Shame as they looked like they were a neat product.
No more FXRG stuff for me.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
I don't know if it is me or what.
I'm not very happy with mine.
The snaps used to hold in the liner keep breaking on mine.
The first time I had to haul it back up to the States and had a dealer send it in for warranty work. I was without a jacket for about 4 months.
They did fix it though as well as replaced the stretched out kidney belt.
I went to put the liner in the other day and broke another snap.
Going to try and find someone local to fix it this time.
The jacket is nice though. Other than the price that is. Lots of features. Good guarantee.
But, I want a product that I don't have to use the guarantee on.

FWIW: Adding insult to injury. My FXRG gloves came apart at the seams on the first ride. Shame as they looked like they were a neat product.
No more FXRG stuff for me.

Ride Free, Ride Safe,
Vettster
The exact same thing happened to me with the FXRG jacket and gloves. Their snaps suck and the warranty repair takes way too long. There are other jackets and gloves available of equal features at half the cost.

·
ridin' bikes for years
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The exact same thing happened to me with the FXRG jacket and gloves. Their snaps suck and the warranty repair takes way too long.

Was this several years ago or just recently? I understand that the FXRG gear was redesigned about a year ago, zippers pulls and snaps were the weak points.

I did end up buying the FXRG textile jacket and it has heavy duty hardware on it and keeps we warm. Haven't tried it in the rain yet.

Now I'm selling off my old gear, anyone need a good American made Harley black leather jacket in XL for $150. It is the classic motorcycle style with liner.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
I have the FXRG in textile one in leather plus 2 other harley leather jackets. The textile FXRG is the only one I wear--keeps me warm, keeps me dry, lets the breeze through when I open the vents. And it weighs half of what that darn leather jacket does.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I own both jackets - the leather and the nylon. I love both of them and wouldn't trade either for anything else. The nylon jacket really is quite warm with the liner in place. And it is very water repellent. The only problem I had was with the zipper on the leather jacket. When the dealer sent it back to the moco for repair, the moco decided to replace the entire jacket. So I got a brand new jacket...and I still had the liner and belt from the previous jacket - so now I have 2 of those.
FXRG is great!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Regarding my FXRG jKT.

This jkt. is the only one that I have to ride with now. Its been 2 years since I purchased it from the MOCO. I have not had any problems with it so far and it really has been nice to use in all conditions. Its gone through some nasty weather and performed well. One thing I will admit to is the fact that if I see a big storm brewing on the horizon I generally get off the road and wait it out. Of course the other thing I can do is put on my raingear over it. Its really only totally waterproof that way, as a hard down pour can get you a bit wet.
All in all this product lives up to its rating and I would buy one again if I had to. I wear it all the time when I am riding as I like the protection it provides in case I take a spill. Hopefully I never will, but you just never know do you?

:thumbsup:

Fast Freddie

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Does anyone use the nylon FXRG jacket and how do they like it for warmth and riding in the rain?

I have the leather FXRG that is nice and warm, but it very heavy.

I'm thinking of selling the leather one and getting the nylon version. Has anyone switched from one to the other?

Thanks in advance.
Bill,

You really can't go wrong with this one, its one hell of a jkt. for the money. I would know as I have owned and used one for 2 yrs. now. Go online and buy it from St. Pul Harley in Minnesota. They have some really good prices. I checked out the fit at my local Harley dealer and then ordered it online. I saved some good money even with the shipping figured into the final cost.
The best part about this one is that on a hot day you still can provide good protection for yourself and still have a jkt that ventilated well. Its 2 frnt zips and the one on the lower back work real well together. Of course there are all of the other pkts as others have mentioned. Yes one can lose track of where he put his stuff in various pkts., but its not the end of the world. All it takes is some practice and before you know it you get into a routine and have a place for all of your stuff!

Good luck on your decision!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts