V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a gift cert for the holidays to spend... enough to cover a pair of FXRG Leather Overpants.

I have the FXRG midweight jacket and I'm reasonably happy with it, however, not really for the price. If spending that money again, I'd probably get a Vanson. The damn main zipper pull came off one day, while riding, when I pulled the zipper up... whacked myself in the mouth. I replaced all the often used zipper pulls with metal clips I made out of picture hooks and heavy O-rings for garden hoses... they work quite nicely now. I would probably have gone for another brand of pants, but I have the gift cert.

Anyhow, there doesn't seem to be an H-D dealer in the state of CA that has a pair of 36 waist in stock... and only a handfull that have any sizes at all in stock. How the hell do they plan on selling any if none of the dealers have them? (H-D, are you listening?) They have lots of chaps in stock, but they're gay (figuratively speaking) and won't protect my balls and ass. Apparently Harley riders have no use for protective gear?? WTF?

I can special order a pair from my local dealer (who does not stock any of the FXRG leather pants), but I'm stuck with them if I don't like them or they don't fit.... again, WTF??

So, enough ranting... can anyone describe them better than the horse pucky on the H-D site? How do they fit? How do they feel? How thick is the leather? Do you like them? Are the sizes true (if I wear 36 jeans, do I get the 36 overpants to put over my jeans? Do they seem well made? Anything else?

Maybe I should just spend the gift cert on some taillight housings and go buy some Fox Creek pants... idiots :mad:

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I have a pair of the FXRG leather overpants, size 36" and wear size 36" jeans. They fit well over the jeans. They also zip to the FXRG medium weight leather jacket. I like them a lot. Have not got to test water proofness, but rode in 19 degrees with them. The only "complaint" I have is that side zippers do not go all the wait up, they stop at hip bone area. My dealer special ordered them for me with understanding I could return if not happy with them. Hope this helps

·
Registered
227 Posts
geoffreyt said:
I know you want HD stuff. This company is a small WV company and they make their stuff. The guarantee is unbeatable as is their leather. Check out their pants and chaps. You have a month to return them. No big deal.

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/
Foxcreek Leather is not in west virginia! it is in Independence, Virginia
1-800-766-4165
http://www.foxcreekleather.com/

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
I am on my second pair of Fox Creek Overpants. I "out grew" my first pair and just got my new pair last week. I sold my old pair to a forum member. Fox Creek products are top shelf and so is the support. They are a lifetime product as long as you are finished growing.:duh?:

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Also,
I am about finished with HD brand leathers for actual riding. The real life functionality and quality just does not compare to products like Fox Creek, Kerr Leathers etc. for the same money or less. HD leather is fine for fashion wear and looking cool. Thats about it.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I've got a pair of 36, I wear 34, they are loose but I have wide legs and have a hard time getting legs/waist that fit right.

Go with what you have for the FXRG if you get them, but do what the other sites say for measuring, everyone is different in overpants it seems. I finally gave up with the guessing game and tried a pair on, they were having a 25% off sale that day, I grabbed em and have been happy. They are the -05 model - there are plenty of -99 models on ebay but I have ZERO idea how they fit.

I've ridden in 20 degrees with them and just jeans, no thermals, and had no warmth issues. My knees get a "tad" cold and thats it. Been in the rain a few times (bad rain!) and nothing got threw em.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the Fox Creek pants too, but no zipper for attaching to jacket is a huge defecit for me.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I've got this strange kidney belt thing in my jackt, that holds the pants tight. Something you could consider.

Also, its nothing to add the zipper to your pants, jacket. Look at the FXRG and you will its just a zipper with fabric, you could get that anywhere and sew it to both.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stratslingr77 said:
Livermore Harley has them in stock. I wear the same size and was checking out a pair just the other day.
Awesome... I'll have to take a little road trip. Thanks!

I had Fremont and Oakland check their inventory system yesterday to see if anyone had them in stock and they both said a shop in Oregon had a pair. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oddly enough, my local dealer called me to say they got a pair of 38s in yesterday, so I went to check them out.

Very nice quality... much improved over the previous FXRG lineup (bulletproof zipper pulls now too!). Overall, a very good quality product (at least on the rack).

I ordered a pair of 36s and with my discount, they will come in at under $300... decent leather pants for $380, very nice pants for under $300!

I'll report back when I get me greedy hands on them.

Has anyone seen my leather pants? ;)

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
I found the rubber padding in the knees to help with the cold, but found the hip pads to be annoying. They are removable, but when you do, you reduce the cushion if you fall.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tibs said:
I found the rubber padding in the knees to help with the cold, but found the hip pads to be annoying. They are removable, but when you do, you reduce the cushion if you fall.
you mean if I should trip and fall while walking, right? ;)

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
Has anyone seen my leather pants? ;)

Yep.

And they make yer ass look BIG ;) ;) ;)

I appreciate that you indicated that you had a gift certificate, but another option is Stone Lake Leatherworks.

They make leather bib overalls with zippers and snaps along the length of both legs. I think the cost aorund 300 bucks.

I have them and am very impressed, so much so that I'm going to buy another set when they roll into town this winter.

If anyone wants to order a set, add 4 inches to your jeans waist size and 2 inches to your inseam and you'll be good to go. :yes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts