V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, my name is Randy and I'm new to the forum. I just purchased a 1984 FXR for a good price. The bad thing is that the engine is shot; it's leaking oil basically everywhere, there is a lot of oil coming from the exhaust, it has a bad knock, there is a terrible noise from the clutch, and transmission. I bought the bike knowing it was a basket case because FXRs are super rare in Newfoundland, Canada. Also it currently has lame forward controls.

So this is my question, would it be better to rebuild my stock evo, in doing so throw some parts in it to boost up the hp/tq to a respectable number. I've heard early evos have bad head castings and other potential problems that don't lend well to performance tuning. Another option would be to buy a V111...not cheap. My third option is to go with a TC 96 from a 2009 street glide, an engine which I already own. I know this would be a more involved swap but by no means impossible, as many others have already done TC FXRs. If I go with the TC I would need to find a modern touring trans; my trans is the old style 84', has the tapered shaft (****) and also needs a rebuild. Therefore not really worth spending all the cash on an adapter plate for the TC to fxr trans.

I'm leaning towards the TC swap, mostly because I already have the motor. I'm probably going to have to ebay a trans, primary and everything that goes along with it. I'm just looking for any suggestions, anywhere I could source a transmission/other parts for a deal other than ebay.

I'll most likely go carb over efi for sake of simplicity.

Would it be possible to fab up a set of mid controls from a set of dyna mids. Is there anywhere that has fxr mids for a good price. Every place I've seen mids for an fxr they are crazy expensive.

Any insight, suggestions, do's and dont's, links to build threads, parts sources, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Assuming you want to use mostly as a curve burner by the fact you want mids here are my thoughts. In the twisties excessive power is Not your friend. Honestly linear power is. Go for an Evo S&S 96" you will love it in the curves. The v111 will be a hotter motor but it is also an excellent choice.
If the trans is toast you can rebuild or lose the oil tank and get a mid 90s bagger trans used and complete.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts