V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elvis has made me think outside the box for things that I need. I've been looking for a set of saddlebag guards for an FXRT for over a year. Didn't want to pay those heavy prices for those things, so, again after a couple of beers, I hit Craigslist but struck out. After some time I came across a local guy that had a set of Hogworkz rear guards for a Softail. We hooked up, he showed me the guards, I brought a tape measure, we shook hands and 50 bucks later I had something I could work with.

This weekend I did some slicing and welding. Cut off the top mounting points and welded in some 1" spacers. Looks like it's a go. I bought a chrome shower curtain rod to cover the the welds. I'll get to that later. There's a certain amount of tugging to get them in (right side is mounted, left side not yet). Not perfect, but NOT Elvis.

Greg

20210626_190449.jpg 20210717_215828.jpg 20210717_215953.jpg

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,841 Posts
I thought you meant the ones that actually attach to the bags. That looks pretty decent.

joe

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
192 Posts
Certain amount of tugging to get them in? You should address that so you don't get cracks. Otherwise, good adaptation.

·
Registered
17,652 Posts
I thought you meant the ones that actually attach to the bags.

jowe
That was my first thought as well.

Sent from my captainhook455 clone device

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish i could find a set of the other bag guards for a decent price. Anyway, I sliced up the shower curtain rod slipped the parts over the welds. Also elongated the hole on the left side a bit for less tugging. So, for less than a hundred bucks, this is what I've got.

Greg 20210718_125107.jpg

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,841 Posts
My friend, James Steele's bike. Looks like OE with the bottom rail removed.
Naw, compare them to mine [a few posts up]. The positioning and angles look different.

What do y'all think the chrome clump on the corner of the tourpack is?

joe

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Naw, compare them to mine [a few posts up]. The positioning and angles look different.

What do y'all think the chrome clump on the corner of the tourpack is?

joe
Marker lights

1 - 20 of 55 Posts