V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
When the bike starts surging try pulling the enrichment knob. If the fuel level is dropping in the float bowl this should give you a power surge until the level drops farther.
If this is the result its definitely a fuel supply issue.
Then have the carb ultrasonically cleaned.
I've seen build-up and debris on the backside of the needle seat restricting fuel from entering the open needle.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
After the first time I remembered to pull out the knob but it had no effect whatever, I guess the bowl was empty by then.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a similar problem 50 years ago with a VW bug. Motor ran great until fuel level got below ¼ tank, then it would die. I‘d wait minute or 2, it would run fine, then die again, etc. I did everything possible to T’shoot (like you’ve done). Finally I removed the gas tank, turned it upside down and the little seal disk from a can of dry gas fell out. Here, this waxed paper disk would float around the tank until it got close enough that the suction through the fuel hose would suck it down and block the hose. After suction subsided it would float away, then repeat. At full tank, it was too far away from the suction to be affected. After the disk was gone, it never had a problem again.

Check your tank for a similar issue?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I took the tank off, removed the valve, blew it out with air, the fuel valve has a strainer that is a couple of inches long that pull from all sides.
I have just replaced the carb after cleaning and a rebuild kit, I put in a brass elbow, run a new fuel line between the jugs away from the heads and it seems to be working ok, I have only run it a lottle bit the front wheel seals are shot and the discs are getting greasy and I have about 5% front brake. after I replace the seals I will take it out for a test ride.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, it certainly sounds like you have eliminated this possibility, and everything else likely to be causing your problem; I sure hope you've got it fixed! Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Well the carb is back together and on. Rerouted the fuel line, replaced the petcock. Needs the choke on until it warms up or it spits and coughs a little. Once warm it pulls hard , runs great, no problems at highway speed, and my speedo cable broke. I will trying adjusting the mixture a little more in a day or two. But I am pleased with the way it runs right now.
Thank you all for your comments and advise.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts