V-Twin Forum banner

FXR Price check

9K views 23 replies 14 participants last post by  rrekr 
#1 ·
Anyone know what a 1988 FXR standard 2000 original miles goes for? A rough estimation will do. I'm thinking about going out to see it this weekend.

Tim

#3 ·
I have to agree. I checked the Kelly Blue Book and they said that retail is about $7300, which seems a little too low. I'd like to believe that a really clean FXR/FXD would fetch in the $10,000 range with low mileage.

Tim

#4 ·
Kelly Blue Book

February 8, 2006

1988 Harley-Davidson FXR Super Glide
2-Cylinder
4-Stroke
1340cc

Suggested Retail Value $7345
Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $4930
You will notice that today's retail value doesn't differ much from the original MSRP when it was new. The MSRP on my '84 FXR was $7,699. I paid $7,000 for it 20 years later. It will probably be worth the same in 20 years(or more).

FXR's seem to be highly sought after these days. The geometry allows it to be active while BS'ing on windy country roads, yet provide an excellant straight-travel interstate ride also. I wore down the bottom sides of the factory hardshell saddlebags & footpegs while keeping up with the stepson and his friends' sport bikes. It feels really strong in the corners and lets you get down LOW. On long road trips I can ride that thing for 8 hours and enjoy every minute.
Anyone know what a 1988 FXR standard 2000 original miles goes for?
I'd probably pay $8-$10K for one but that's because I like deals. With only 2,000 miles it would be around $10K locally.

World's most popular FXR('89)-

#5 ·
I'm not sure where Kelly Blue Book gets their data, but when I was looking for a bike, they were always quoting much less than what the bikes I was looking at were selling for.

#8 ·
FXRs are great bikes,I had one for 10 years and over 100K miles and loved it.
That said don't pay more than $8K for a bike that old even with the low miles on it.
Figure on gaskets having dried out over time and it needing a top end reseal after you ride it a bit.
I'll bet it starts leaking at the rocker boxes and base gaskets soon after you start riding it.

#9 ·
springer- said:
At a recent bike show in Augusta Maine, there were 2 FXR's with average milage for $5900 and they didn't sell. I think 8-10 G's is very high.
Not doubting you but check out ebay. Wrecked Dyna's and FXR's bring at least $6K. I work in insurance for a living. I talked to a claims adjuster the other day on that subject. He told me that when the insurance company sells bikes to the salvage yard the Jap bikes go for 8-10 cents on the dollar salvage cost. Harleys go for over 50 cents on the dollar wrecked. Huge difference.

Tim

#12 ·
dswansbiker said:
Last year my local dealer had a close to mint 89 fxrs sport with 20k miles. Pretty much bone stock and offered it to me for 6500. I should have taken it, but with 10 bikes already I think the wife would have had a coronary.
i gotta ask.....WTF do you do that you can afford 10 friggin bikes. and how do you ride all of em.

#13 ·
dashooter said:
i gotta ask.....WTF do you do that you can afford 10 friggin bikes. and how do you ride all of em.
You forget...to them(women), anything with 2 wheels is a "bike" or "motorcycle". I have a woods filled with at least 2 dozen "bikes" I've picked up at auction sales or flee markets. All run, but many only cost me $25 to $75.
I should have taken it, but with 10 bikes already I think the wife would have had a coronary.
Just because he said "10 bikes" doesn't mean they're all $15,000 Harley Davidsons.:)

But they could be.

#14 ·
Actually since then I did sneak in number 11. I restore bikes for a hobby, and have a real weak spot for a neglected machine regardless of brand. I found two Honda CBX's in dire straits and restored both to "as new". I have a 1956 Harley KHK that started out as a basket case and is getting real close to being finished after 4 years of searching for parts. A 64 XLCH came my way that needed help and is looking real good now. My favorite bike is my 83 FXRS that is a mint original. I just had to have my 69 FLH that was a bone original with 11 k miles. A 1965 Honda 150 Dream needed a good home, so I gave it one. I picked up 2 Moto Guzzi's that were in need of total restoration. I restored the first one 2 years ago and have the second one in process now and should be ready for spring. Just for grins I picked up a steal of a deal on a 2003 Honda CBR 954rr for getting your jollies off. A friend told me about a 1971 Harley SX350 Sprint that needed a home last year. And so it goes. Before I knew it there were 11 bikes. What is wrong with that I ask? Not a damn thing I say. And all of the roadworthy bikes get ridden regularly.

#17 ·
Dealers are the best place to find deals on FXR's.

I bought a very clean '94 with 17k in October of 2005 for 7200.00. It had sat on their floor for over 60 days, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I found it. Dealers don't like them, because the general public isn't interested in them.

#18 ·
From what I've seen, more and more Harley riders these days don't even know what a FXR is or was. They have no idea of the different frame and the inherent rigidity, or the benefits of it. They don't care about handling or the Eric Buell design. As time goes on, fewer and fewer will know anything about them except their age. Not even dealers.

The manager of the local Honda-Ducati dealer down here knows about FXR's--he says that they are the only Harleys that he was ever really interested in. Meanwhile, I've had to argue with HD dealer parts guys when they insist that a Dyna is the same thing.

Okay, this is turning into a rant so I'll wind it up. It takes a knowledgable rider to recognize a FXR and know why they were so good. I have a buyers guide to HD's that states that FXR's were "the best Harleys ever built--period". If I were ever to sell mine, I'd just plan on being patient until I found someone who knew what they were looking at.

#20 ·
FXR is no doubt is the best Harley ever built.

My father and I am avid motorcycle collectors Harleys, Indians (original), Vincents, triumphs etc.. Pop's collection is outta control. I have ridden alot of harley's. No doubt, the best harley is the FXR. The only other bike I would recommend is the roadglide, and that is the bike I use for long trips w/ a hussy on the back. Otherwise the FXR is my choice. I do love to barhop on my 1980 FXR Lowrider (shovel Head) but trust my 1985 FXR on the longer trips. I keep up with street bikes in the backroads. I did put a 38mm front-end on my 1985, and fox shocks on the rear:spank: and love it. FXR Rider for life, Dyna's will never compare.

#22 ·
Fo Sho!

springer- said:
Love to see a picture of it, FYI the first year FXR was 1982 and only shovelhead FXR's were 82-83.
you're Right its just a lowrider right? but yeah love that bike, you should see pics of my buddy's 1967 fx it is clean, everything polished, lowered, it's won some bike shows. My bike is burried in the back of the garage @ my Dad's place, getting ready for summer, but I have some pics somewhere, I'll find em' and post em, I'll also get some pics of my buddy's bike.
Good to see there is still some loyal shovel headers out there. If your in cali this summer, you should role out to the Redwood Run. A hell of a good time, and Everybody gives you alot of credit for smashing around on a shovel.
a rareity these days.

#23 ·
Well, I see I'm a little late here, but what the hell. FXR prices seem to range all over the scale. It's sad to me that FXRTs are the least valued, and that a lot of folks just want to strip them down when they get them. Great motorcycles in any version.

joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.