V-Twin Forum banner

FXR Noob, got a question

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  ironhead smitty 
#1 ·
Over the last few days I've been going over my new to me FXR. Here's a pic:

Anyway, after removing crap I don't need or like and checking all the fluids and pressures and whatnot I discovered something that concerns me. Why the hell is the belt so damn close to the tire? It appears to be a stock belt, and a stock Dunslop 130 size tire. Is this normal?

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Mine is about 3/8 inch from tire. If there are no signs of anything rubbing anywhere, I'd not worry much. Tolerances are pretty close on a lot of things on my bike. FXR's are pretty compact machines.

Nice Bike. Welcome to the group. These guys have been great to share knowledge and experience and have helped me out several times.

#23 ·
My sporty did that. Backwards I could see the belt get closer to the engine by 1/4", but forward it moved back to where it was supposed to be. I figured it's going forward much more than backward so I didn't care.

I'm gonna check my FXR again, maybe I rolled it backwards into the garage and then checked it?

#27 ·
You might also take a look to see if the rear tire is centered within the fender, it's not uncommon for it not to be. Before my bike was rebuilt I had enough space to run a 140 rear with no belt rub. After being rebuilt I have maybe a 16th of an inch between tire and belt, and the belt will rub when pushing the bike backward. Also, the tire is not centered within the fender, but the swingarm and frame are in alignment via the shocks. It's a mystery no one has been able to figure out, just lots of head scratching. So don't worry about it unless there's a handling issue.

#31 ·
The 130 tire is real close. A 140 tire is closer. When the belt is flexing under driving conditions, it ever so gently makes contact with the side wall. I recently installed a 140 Wide Whitewall and the touching is evident at the top of the WW. It appears the tire is slightly wider than the black walled version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.