V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few days I've been going over my new to me FXR. Here's a pic:

Anyway, after removing crap I don't need or like and checking all the fluids and pressures and whatnot I discovered something that concerns me. Why the hell is the belt so damn close to the tire? It appears to be a stock belt, and a stock Dunslop 130 size tire. Is this normal?

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Some things that can effect that include, wheel alignment, swingarm bushings, engine mounts and engine alignment.

Even when everything is right it can be close.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Axle's aligned, used the bent coat hanger and o-ring to check. Bike tracks straight, although the handlebars are kicked a bit right when going straight. It can't be more than 1/16"

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine is about 3/8 inch from tire. If there are no signs of anything rubbing anywhere, I'd not worry much. Tolerances are pretty close on a lot of things on my bike. FXR's are pretty compact machines.

Nice Bike. Welcome to the group. These guys have been great to share knowledge and experience and have helped me out several times.

·
Registered
968 Posts
'91 FXRT .... Dunlop E3 ... belt/tire clearance 1/4"
'92 FXRS .... Dunlop 401 ... belt/tire clearance 5/16"

Both bikes are aligned, with new swingarm guts....

·
Registered
968 Posts
If using the stock cast rim....measurement should be taken from the belt to the rim.....compensates for the different tire profiles....nice bike, and welcome. FXR folks have a 'secret' handshake and wave......your instructions are in the mail....:)

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
I ridden bikes that the belt touched rolling it backwards and was OK going forward...if it ain't touching your good :clap:

·
Registered
345 Posts
How does THAT work?

joe
Belts will usually try to track to the inside when the bike is rolled back. I had a friend that insisted that I squeeze a 160 tire on the back of his fxdx. Same deal. rubbed going backwards, about 1/16 going forward.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Coz on most FXRs you'll find that the back wheel is often spaced a little to the left on teh axle irrespective of alignment. To be certain check the clearance between the edge of the top of the tyre (tire) and the guard using your fingers.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Belts will usually try to track to the inside when the bike is rolled back. I had a friend that insisted that I squeeze a 160 tire on the back of his fxdx. Same deal. rubbed going backwards, about 1/16 going forward.

we have a winner....I wouldn't recommend it but it worked for me on that particular bike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts