V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt think it was stock. I recently got a 82 fxr but I dont know much about it or what is suppose to be stock. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is interesting. It would be from a FLT. The FXR and FLT were the only rubber mounted five speeds made in 82- 83. They would use the same inner and outer primaries other Harley's were 4 speeds and mounted differently.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know what has been changed on this bike. I'm not familiar with how a fxr looks stock

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
That is interesting. It would be from a FLT. The FXR and FLT were the only rubber mounted five speeds made in 82- 83. They would use the same inner and outer primaries other Harley's were 4 speeds and mounted differently.
Or FLHT [1983 only, shovelhead] I just showed one in the extended Shifter Thread... Wondering why the Previous Detractor didn't use that shifter Point vs Cheap Forwards..

Edit; Gots me wondering Now... what Tranny/Clutch, might be in there... could be post 1984 with that Miserable [IMO] clutch setup

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
the 2 primarys interchange as far as bolting up,,, but the shift controls must be changed to whatever the inner/outer primaries are set for...

it can all be used,, provided you change to the shift linkage for the primary you use,,, the primaries will bolt up,, and use the same gaskets,, the FXR has a a hole in the inner primary, and inspection cover for the fxr mid shift controls,,, the outer primays can be used on either..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or FLHT [1983 only, shovelhead] I just showed one in the extended Shifter Thread... Wondering why the Previous Detractor didn't use that shifter Point vs Cheap Forwards..

Edit; Gots me wondering Now... what Tranny/Clutch, might be in there... could be post 1984 with that Miserable [IMO] clutch setup
All I can tell you is it's a 5 speed with the stock 3 stud clutch.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
3 adjusting studs [there are more in there that are not threaded] is Shovelhead stuff... I like it better than the next generation clutch...

·
Registered
1984 fxrs
565 Posts
Now you know why I get so weirded out by FXR's for sale... all the strange creative liberties the previous owners took and youre left with a bunch of stuff in an fxr frame just trying to make it all work together.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 2 primarys interchange as far as bolting up,,, but the shift controls must be changed to whatever the inner/outer primaries are set for...

it can all be used,, provided you change to the shift linkage for the primary you use,,, the primaries will bolt up,, and use the same gaskets,, the FXR has a a hole in the inner primary, and inspection cover for the fxr mid shift controls,,, the outer primays can be used on either..
I'm pretty sure the primary cover is not stock. But I'm still not clear if it came from the factory that way. Or could it.
Now you know why I get so weirded out by FXR's for sale... all the strange creative liberties the previous owners took and youre left with a bunch of stuff in an fxr frame just trying to make it all work together.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Boy that's a true statement. This is my first one. So I'm learning.

·
Registered
8,779 Posts
an fxr did not leave the factory with an flt inner... that is a factory inner,,, no other company made them,,, to my knowledge..for the early flt,,, when you remove the outer you will see the part # cast into it...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
60626-83 is what's on the bike. Not sure what bike this came out on but it's not the part number I'm seeing for fxr. I think ill just keep the one I have for now. They are anywhere from 5 to 600 and up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Surprised you can even find a FXR inner primary. I broke one of the front bolt tabs off mine and it took alot of searching for one.but the early Evo fxr inners should fit also I have looked at them and they look correct never bolted one on though.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I see no reason not to use an FL inner if it's not damaged and for the oddball early models I'd keep an eye out for a spare since FL parts prices tend much lower than FXR stuff. If the shifter shaft hole offends it's easy to plug with a chrome cap or if the primary is removed, ya can slice the boss off with an abrasive disk and blend nicely with a flap wheel. For any FXR I planned on keeping I'd look out for the latest splined five speed parts available (NOT the crappy tapered shaft hub clutches which have narrow disks and delicate hub bolt towers) and late bagger inner primaries can be drilled for mid control shifter shafts. Late bagger drivetrains are a bolt-in and bagger donors often go cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts