V-Twin Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,855 Posts
You know the cliche about FXRs looking like Asian bikes, because of the frame triangle? I read elsewhere that FXR actually had that feature first. That's kinda cool.

joe

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 · (Edited)
FXR HISTORY UPDATE AUGUST 1ST 2013

Erik Buell, *NOT AN ORIGINAL DESIGNER BUT WAS ASK TO BE A CONSULT AND PARTICIPATE IN REDESIGN

READ ABOUT HIS JUNE 2013 HOT BIKE MAGAZINE REMARKS IN REPLY# 11 OF THE FXR HISTORY

JUNE 2013 HOT BIKE MAGAZINE *PAGE 36-40
THE SAGA OF THE FXR

·
4FXRS
21 Posts
I'm back on an FXRS - I found a 1984 EVO with 15,220 miles this past January 2014 and it feels great to be back on one! (Well, lost several weeks of riding when I hit a deer in March while riding it, but that's another story.) My first FXRS was a 1982 that I bought new and put 86,000 miles on in the Buffalo, NY, area - in 15 years - hard to do in that climate. I sold it when I moved to a place with no garage - and regret it to this day. I have had several bikes since, including a new 2009 FLSTC, but none had the soul that the 1982 FXRS had. Now - I'm loving the 84 FXRS and will ride it to the day I can't, and then maybe convert to a trike. I am blessed that I can ride every day here in SE Arizona.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Please no trike. get a young woman with strong legs and hold on!

·
4FXRS
21 Posts
Was said with tongue in cheek mode. If I get that feeble (physically that is, as I am already feeble minded according to others) I would probably be in a wheel-chair. I survived the deer strike which was the first time I have gone down in over 160000 road miles - now hoping for another 160000 crash-free miles. <grin> Too bad the FXRS sliding on its side damaged the primary chain-case cover and other, now expensive, chrome items. I do like the idea of the strong young woman on the queen seat!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm back on an FXRS - I found a 1984 EVO with 15,220 miles this past January 2014 and it feels great to be back on one! (Well, lost several weeks of riding when I hit a deer in March while riding it, but that's another story.) My first FXRS was a 1982 that I bought new and put 86,000 miles on in the Buffalo, NY, area - in 15 years - hard to do in that climate. I sold it when I moved to a place with no garage - and regret it to this day. I have had several bikes since, including a new 2009 FLSTC, but none had the soul that the 1982 FXRS had. Now - I'm loving the 84 FXRS and will ride it to the day I can't, and then maybe convert to a trike. I am blessed that I can ride every day here in SE Arizona.
Are you still riding the '84 FXRS? I'm looking at an '83 FXR shovelhead, but wondering if I'd be better off with the EVO models.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Super old post, but I came across it today as I was doing research on my newly acquired 1988 FXRS-SP. Been on the hunt for the right FXR for years and got a killer deal on this one. I'm tiny (4'11") so I have a few mods to make before I can ride it (gotta ditch the 16" shocks, forward controls and huge seat) but I can't wait to get this bike down the road!!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sometimes it's a worthwhile effort to resurrect these old threads. In my case...I sort of "backed into" being a confirmed fan of the FXR family/cult. In 1985 I was shopping for a newer bike ( read...more comfortable and reliable for longer trips at high speed). I had just started hanging around with a 1% club and wanted to be a bit better equipped than I felt like I was on my Shovelhead.
In those days...C&S HD in Nashville, TN was located in a small building on Charlotte Ave. They had several bikes on the (small) floor. When I explained my interest to Phil, he just said.."ride whatever you want, and let me know what you like".
I tried out a couple. When I came back from test riding the Softail, Phil met me outside. I told him.." this is the one...really cool".
FORTUNATELY....because Phil knew who I was associated with he told me "Donald...you aren't gonna like that bike for those long runs...take my FXR over there for a ride before you decide." His bike was one of the copper colored/tan leather FXR'S. I told him "Phil, I don't mean to be rude...but that bike is ugly". "Don't worry about that" he said.."Tommy is putting a black one together in the shop right now."
I rode his ugly bike down I-40 for a few miles, and the rest is history. I bought that black one. 36 years and 308,000 mi. I'm still on that bike because I have yet to find one I would rather own.
Thanks Phil.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Sometimes it's a worthwhile effort to resurrect these old threads. In my case...I sort of "backed into" being a confirmed fan of the FXR family/cult. In 1985 I was shopping for a newer bike ( read...more comfortable and reliable for longer trips at high speed). I had just started hanging around with a 1% club and wanted to be a bit better equipped than I felt like I was on my Shovelhead.
In those days...C&S HD in Nashville, TN was located in a small building on Charlotte Ave. They had several bikes on the (small) floor. When I explained my interest to Phil, he just said.."ride whatever you want, and let me know what you like".
I tried out a couple. When I came back from test riding the Softail, Phil met me outside. I told him.." this is the one...really cool".
FORTUNATELY....because Phil knew who I was associated with he told me "Donald...you aren't gonna like that bike for those long runs...take my FXR over there for a ride before you decide." His bike was one of the copper colored/tan leather FXR'S. I told him "Phil, I don't mean to be rude...but that bike is ugly". "Don't worry about that" he said.."Tommy is putting a black one together in the shop right now."
I rode his ugly bike down I-40 for a few miles, and the rest is history. I bought that black one. 36 years and 308,000 mi. I'm still on that bike because I have yet to find one I would rather own.
Thanks Phil.
Great testimonial
I too bought my FXRS off the showroom
A real Dog new off the floor
I believe my '68 shovel would whip it
And my 1970 XLCH wiuld run away and hide from it..... Stock that is

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
324 Posts
Hell, I'm just proud to still be here, and still riding the same bike I bought 36 yrs ago. :giggle:
Me too. I had a new 85 wrecked it. Bought a new 86 FXRSC and still have it. I have had lots of others come and go but I will never sell the 86. Besides I have the serial number for it tattooed on my chest and I would have to cover up.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Me too. I had a new 85 wrecked it. Bought a new 86 FXRSC and still have it. I have had lots of others come and go but I will never sell the 86. Besides I have the serial number for it tattooed on my chest and I would have to cover up.
Similar story for me as well. Bought my '87 in 1990 and still have it, while other bikes come and went, and some stayed. Wrecked and rebuilt in 2001, flipped 215k miles this week. No VIN tattoo....

Reactions: Racepres
81 - 100 of 104 Posts