V-Twin Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Okay, on a related note, does anyone know definitively whether the FXRP frame has the 29 or 31-degree rake? Just curious...

·
FNG :)
1,587 Posts
No sure how Harley spec'd the frame rake. Between my buddies and me, I have access to about fifteen FXR frames from the shovel years to the 2000 FXR4, and a variety of models. About an hour ago I had an 83 FXR, 91 FXRP and my own FXR Conv in my garage.

I measured the fork angles but then realized it didn't mean $hit because none of the bikes were stock. All them had different suspensions, wheels, etc, that would affect the measured neck angle.

What I did measure was the the angle between the neck and the bottom frame rail. With the bikes on my table lift with the front wheel clamped in the vice I measured the neck angle and the angle of the lower frame rail and then figured the difference.

All three frames had the same angle between the lower frame rail and the neck.

Logic tells us that the differences in claimed factory specs betwen the various FXR models can be attributed to the differences in suspension packages. My science tells me the frames are the same geometry.

Ed

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Makes perfect sense - thanks, buddy! Sounds like you're giving Elvis a run for his money in the FXR department... ;)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Interesting question.......in the '91-'92 Parts Catalog, there is only one part # for the FXR frames....47205-91A.

The '93 Sales brochure has some FXR models at 29 degrees, and others at 31 degrees....could the change in degrees be from using different trees?

·
FNG :)
1,587 Posts
The trees are the same part number as well. The fork tubes and the rear shocks have different part numbers. The difference in rake has to be from different suspension components.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,855 Posts
I wish I had something useful to add, but all I got is. . .

The first street bike I ever rode was my bud's brand spankin' new 82 FXR. Why would I be riding anything other than an FXR(T) now?

joe

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
What Ed is saying, I believe, is that if you raise the front end (taller front tire, longer downtubes) or lower the rear (shorter shocks), you increase the effective rake, as measured from vertical. He's saying that the frames were all the same, and the FXR's listed as having 31 degrees of rake simply had a different suspension geometry, with the front slightly higher than the rear.

·
Registered
828 Posts
yep, thats it. the neck is the same for all FXRs.
you can tighten it up with long shocks, slide the forks up in the trees a bit & 19 inch wheel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Both of my FXRs have stock size rubber and stock length suspension.
I wonder is the there is a difference between the two rake wise.
I know that I still can't believe they are the same model bike. Completely different personalities, yet interchangable parts, the best of both worlds.
People think the FXLR is a custom wideglide, and mine must just be some "odd ball sportster".

·
Registered
995 Posts
Wouldn't the rake remain the same ....Ed verified this when he measured the three FXRs, but the higher ground clearance would give the bike a greater overall length?

The '93 brochure lists the 'FXR Super Glide', and the 'FXLR Low Rider Custom' at 29 degrees.....and the 'FXRS-SP Sport Edition', and the 'FXRS-CONV Convertible' at 31 degrees.....

Is the rake in relationship to the frame or the ground?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
So the FXRS-SP, FXRS-CONV. are 31 degrees, so I would assume the FXRP is also 31 degrees since it's based off the Convertible. However, it doesn't make sense that by lengthening the fork it would change the rake since the rear shocks are 1" taller too, which I think would cancel out the longer fork.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,855 Posts
I wondered what happened to you and this thread.

joe

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,855 Posts
Welcome back again. I'd like to see this added to.

joe

61 - 80 of 104 Posts