V-Twin Forum banner
41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey guys just bought an 89 FXLR custom and want to say that I love it! Coming from a Buell I couldn't agree more with you guys about the FXR's being a true riders bike. I was stunned at how well it handles, and rides in general. The only complaint I have is that there seems to be a lack of parts for this vintage. Everything in the catalogs list 91 and up. Will any of these parts fit the 89?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Based upon some of the recent posts perhaps bringing this THREAD to the top might prove beneficial and helpful to others.....

Regards,

"Classic"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's a question I just bought a 1985 FXRS. It has 28,000 original miles. The normal upgrades, exhaust (v&h short shots, which I will probably replace with supertrapp 2:1), s&s carb and intake, custom paint with flames (not a big fan of flames but looks pretty good), other then that, it is pretty much stock. My question is I have read that the FXRS-SP was introduced in 1986, and is denoted by a EG in the vin on the 5th and 6th digits. Here is my vin 1HD1EGL19FY119435 . You can see the EG which is an FXRS-SP and an F as the tenth digit which is definetly and 85 model. Could it be they did make some in 1985, it's obvious from my bike they did. It has the longer fork and the dual front discs. My other question is what are the other differences in the fxrs and the fxrs-sp.

Thanks for any reply, Michael

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you have the air anti dive system in your forks? And if you do the bars probably act as the air bladder.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok, I got this on another page. So I guess I have one of these unofficial 299.

However, in 1985 there were two FXR LIMITED EDITIONS one was official the other was unoffical both to gain extra sales and to help perfect the production line process for supplying more chrome. The "OFFICIAL" one was the FXRC Low Glide Custom , which in some locales was unoffically dubbed the " Candy Glide " in honor of the color scheme of the paint which was Candy Orange and Root Beer , paint that made the whole motorcyle seem to glow in full sunlight like a "radioactive pumpkin". The 1985 "Candy Glide" FXRC Low Glide Custom , wasn't for everyone, and in some parts of the country they were a tough sell. Why? The price was higher, for one, the biggest reason, though was that bright bold color that was too "pretty" to be seen on. The new black T-shirt crowd just wasn't fully ready for the Candy Orange and Root Beer bikes with orange-brown seats. Only 1,084 were built in 1985. The "UNOFFICAL" FXRS special was a version offered with the chrome covers of the FXRC, but without the candy paint. 299 in 1985 were built.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i agree

We need more people to show the new generation of riders the great FXR-the best way to do this is by riding them, fixing them up, talking to people about them, and getting them out there! We can also modernize them with modern drivetrains and technology so people can see they are not just an 'old' bike, but can be practical and reliable in a modern world. Once new riders get on an FXR, they will be SOLD!
i am a 26 year old which just bought my first harley. it is a 1983 fxr. i think it was origanally a fxrt because it came with all the fxrt parts other than the front faring. i do think it was also a police bike at one time, because it has a chain bath and is black now but some of the paint was chipped and it was gold and white.this is a great post. i fount out alot about fxr. thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
also if any one can point me towards a good cam and exhaust system that works well with the shovel plz let me know. there is pics on my profile, check it out let me know what you think.thanks.
Good luck with your first Harley. I did not find your pics tho :dunno:

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I've learned, many folks were underwhelmed at the FXR's radical departure in styling from the standard FX 4-spds. styling since 1971. The folks at H-D decided to put back some of the classic look with the longer primary case, battery on the side, etc. and in so doing had to change the 3 pt. mounting system to the Dyna's 2-pt. system.
They lost the oil bag in the process and it became a reservoir under the trans. I agree that the FXR series was the better of the two and since I'm a shovelhead guy that speaks for itself. I have a bone stock 1983 FXRS, last of the Shovel FXRs. bc

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
From what I've learned, many folks were underwhelmed at the FXR's radical departure in styling from the standard FX 4-spds. styling since 1971. The folks at H-D decided to put back some of the classic look with the longer primary case, battery on the side, etc. and in so doing had to change the 3 pt. mounting system to the Dyna's 2-pt. system. They lost the oil bag in the process and it became a reservoir under the trans. I agree that the FXR series was the better of the two and since I'm a shovelhead guy that speaks for itself. I have a bone stock 1983 FXRS, last of the Shovel FXRs. bc
bcoons~

First of all welcome to the site.....and would love to see a photo of your 1983 FXRS, send me a private message and I will send you my e~mail so you can do that if you are willing......

Thanks for sharing.....how long have you owned your 1983 FXR?

Regards,

"Classic"

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
My other question is what are the other differences in the fxrs and the fxrs-sp.

Bar mounted tach and speedo, longer shocks, dual disc brake, anti-dive suspension and in my opinion, no offense to anyone, the best looking fxr built. Regards, Dennis

·
Registered
766 Posts
My first new Harley was an FXRS "Low Glide" I purchased for $7,000 in 1984. It was a great MC with a rubber mounted evo motor, 5 speed tranny, and a chain final drive. Some of the unique features were the buckhorn bars, hinged pillow seat, raised WL Dunlop Qualifier tires, side covers, and old school fenders. I'll never forget the feeling I had riding that home from the Dealer the day I bought it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Been riding for 34 years. Triumphs at first, Harleys for the last 29. I was a confirmed FX rider...Super Glide and a couple of Low Riders. I remember when the FXR first came out;the Super Glide II. I was shocked. And not in a good way. I was one of the legions of H-D riders that hated 'em, for all the usual reasons ("Don't look Harley enough", "Looks like a *** bike", etc.). My last FX was an '85 FXSB, so I was familiar and liked the EVO. In the last couple of years I started thinking that a suspension that really worked well and a 5 speed might be worth looking into.

Long and short of it: last Sept. found a bone stock, unmolested '85 FXRS and I love it! The grunt of a Big Twin, but handles like my first Harley, an XLCH...only better. Fun and smooth. I'm now on a 25 year old bike and feel like I'm on the cutting edge of technology!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Warrconn,

It's nice to be able to go back a correct a misconception. Welcome to the FXR brotherhood. They are sweet rides!

JW

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
warrconn,

I guess you see now why we're so fanatic about these bikes. They pretty much combine the best of everything Harley:

- Big Twin motor
- Stiff frame & tight handling
- Rubber-mounted
- Endlessly customizable
- Comes in naked, sporty, and bagger varieties

I've wanted one since back when I was riding Japanese bikes & a buddy of mine got one. Always thought they were the coolest Big Twin, and a couple of years ago, finally got one. It was everything I'd hoped.

Wecome to the fold. :clap:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
My other question is what are the other differences in the fxrs and the fxrs-sp.

Bar mounted tach and speedo, longer shocks, dual disc brake, anti-dive suspension and in my opinion, no offense to anyone, the best looking fxr built. Regards, Dennis
That's about it. As far as "best looking FXR built" I always thought so too, even though they are all very similar. Thinking back 20 years ago when I bought my FXR, I went with the -SP because of the above mentioned features, also I thought it looked a little more "right" in the front end. Harley raked out the front end an additional 2 degrees (from 29 to 31) on the -SP than on the other FXR models, which looks right to me, the others looked like the front end got pushed in. The CONV. also uses the 31 degree rake, I believe the FXRT as well.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts