V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres one for you people that might know . been a lot of talk of tuning the heads on this forum and i wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction . did the later fxr heads have bigger valves and better porting .what heads will fit from other models which might give a better gain. did the fxrs-sp have any performance parts in the motor or was it just twin discs , mag wheels etc purely cosmetic .

·
In disguise
2,908 Posts
I have a 1999 FXR2, one of the last of the Evo's. To my knowledge, the Evo in the FXR was always the same Evo found in other same-year bikes. I recently replaced my stock heads with SE ones and the ones that came off, according the Harley guru doing the work, were no different than any other, newer model Evo heads. He put them in the SE boxes to return to me, but I had no use for them lying around the garage and have seen sets on ebay for as little as $50. So I let him keep them, as opposed to me tossing them into the dumpster. Maybe thropugh him, a HD tech, somebody could send them off to get them worked over and have a nice set of Hi Perf heads.

And again, to my knowledge, anyway, the FXRS bikes were not equipped with factory engine upgrades, just brakes, suspension and cosmetics.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Somewhere about 1990 or so the breather moved from the crankcase to the heads along with the newer CV carb.
I've heard of guys running the newer heads on older motors and having both breathers.

·
90 FXRS LOWRIDER
553 Posts
my 90 is vented thru the crankcase. could explain wht recently while tearing my heads and jugs off i found that the rear head was not torqued(it was loose kinda) definitely was a problem though.any way after reading this thread i realized mine could have been originally equipped with head venting if indeed you are correct. thus the heads being loose, and not having known one speck of history on the bike.

·
FXR
117 Posts
they went to head breathers in '92, so yours is probably original.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
cainpole said:
they went to head breathers in '92, so yours is probably original.
I would add to that... In 91 the heads were setup for the breathers but they didn't impliment the head breather until 92.

·
Registered
145 Posts
springer, did Bean sell the evo engine he had in his shop yet?

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
smut said:
springer, did Bean sell the evo engine he had in his shop yet?
Feel free to call the shop and ask. You have your PM's shut off or I would respond in a PM. A post is not really the place for this conversation. The answer is, not yet.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts