V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for detailed information on how the factory footboards on the FXRD/P 1986 looked like. Did they have damper rubbers that were flat on the underside? Did they have the chrome insert plate? How did the pressings on the underside of the footboard look like? Were the brackets welded or riveted?

Any information or pictures appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I personally went thru a footboard 'ordeal' a while back, after an unscrupulous seller sent me two different styles of footboards, neither of which properly fit an FXR. A lot of that info is posted here. Please ignore my grammar and spelling in that thread though. I'm fairly certain I was writing all that on my phone, and auto incorrect was was in top form.

Hopefully, the info you are looking for is there. If not, let me know. I'll do what I can to help.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Alternatively, the part number = 50632-85. Still available from HD, as of a year + ago. About $60.00 a piece from Ronnie's. Call to verify stock, before ordering online.

Sorry, I just noticed your not in the US, and Ronnie's won't ship overseas, I think. Still.... it's a lead on the part.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alternatively, the part number = 50632-85. Still available from HD, as of a year + ago. About $60.00 a piece from Ronnie's. Call to verify stock, before ordering online.

Sorry, I just noticed your not in the US, and Ronnie's won't ship overseas, I think. Still.... it's a lead on the part.

Thanks for this - I was just thinking if the design of the footboard changed during the years. Sometimes the recent parts are quite different from the ones originally installed, even if they still have the same part number.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for this - I was just thinking if the design of the footboard changed during the years. Sometimes the recent parts are quite different from the ones originally installed, even if they still have the same part number.
Well, there is the other style, as someone posted in the link to my thread. The ones that mount to the big X-style bracket that is under the bike, rather than on the FXRP style mounts attached to the frame. I can't say what boards attach to the X-style. Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, there is the other style, as someone posted in the link to my thread. The ones that mount to the big X-style bracket that is under the bike, rather than on the FXRP style mounts attached to the frame. I can't say what boards attach to the X-style. Good luck!
Thanks for the info!
I was also wondering if you could help enlighten me of the design differences of the actual footboards, not the mounts - Some of footboards seem to have no reinforcement ribs on the underside, others has, some have small holes drilled in the ribs as well. On some boards the brackets have been riveted, on others they are welded on. What I’m trying to find out is how they looked like in 1986. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the info!
I was also wondering if you could help enlighten me of the design differences of the actual footboards, not the mounts - Some of footboards seem to have no reinforcement ribs on the underside, others has, some have small holes drilled in the ribs as well. On some boards the brackets have been riveted, on others they are welded on. What I’m trying to find out is how they looked like in 1986. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I can't answer any of that pertaining to the '86 model specifically. I know the last two digits in the part number are '85', and to the best of my knowledge they represent the year the part was introduced. Also, from my limited experience (which is only dealing with my '93 over the last 2-3 years), Harley has been pretty consistent with updating part numbers as they changed over the years on these. Sorry I can't be of much more help, but I can and will go take a picture of the underside of mine, which are the ones related to the part number mentioned above.

Most of what I have tried to communicate is pertaining to the boards themselves, rather than the mounts. The only reason I brought up both mounting styles at all is to clarify that I can't say whether these attach and lay correctly on both styles.

I know of NO other boards that fit and lay correctly on the FXRP style mounts, thus my other thread. It gets into the board design and how to tell if they are the correct ones for an FXRP setup. I also know of NO other ride that these fit correctly. Possibly someone else with more knowledge than I have will chime in.

I know there are many boards that look quite similar, but do not work for various reasons. The spacing between the attachment points differ on some. The little lip that that overhangs the back edge is thicker (taller/wider depending on semantics) on some, which keep them at an odd angle instead of laying flat. I tried to document those differences in the previously linked thread (post #2 above), so as to save others from purchasing ones that do not work correctly (several times) as I did.

I'll go get that pic now....

·
Registered
186 Posts
The underside of part # 50632-85. As you can see, they are welded. They have holes in the groves.

20210224_061455.jpg

Some critical things to look for when determining if a particular board will fit correctly to the FXRP mounts....

Space between them, center to center is 10".

mount spacing.jpg

The spacing from the inside edge of the bracket to where the angle starts on the edge is approximately 7/8-1 inch. (Shown in red)

footboard bevel spacing.jpg

The footboards that DO NOT have the spacing shown above (but start the angle much closer to the bracket) have a thicker lip (shown in green) which does not allow them to lay flat when mounted.

lip.jpg

This all I know, other than all the FXRP mounting brackets and boards are interchangeable between all model years. I will refrain from commenting further on this thread, and hopefully someone else will chime in & answer your specific questions better. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The underside of part # 50632-85. As you can see, they are welded. They have holes in the groves.

View attachment 268463

Some critical things to look for when determining if a particular board will fit correctly to the FXRP mounts....

View attachment 268464

The spacing from the inside edge of the bracket to where the angle starts on the edge is approximately 7/8-1 inch. (Shown in red)

View attachment 268466

The footboards that DO NOT have the spacing shown above (but start the angle much closer to the bracket) have a thicker lip (shown in green) which does not allow them to lay flat when mounted.

View attachment 268467

This all I know, other than all the FXRP mounting brackets and boards are interchangeable between all model years. I will refrain from commenting further on this thread, and hopefully someone else will chime in & answer your specific questions better. Good luck.
Thanks a million for this info! This was exactly what I was looking for.
Brilliant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone out there have a 1986 FXRP or FXRD that is original and could make photos of the undersides of the fotboards?

·
Super Moderator
20,921 Posts

View attachment 268463

View attachment 268464

View attachment 268466

View attachment 268467

Those look exactly like the set I have sitting here in a box. They look to be new boards and rubbers with older oem brackets and levers, rods, ect. Not sure if the boards are NOS, or aftermarket replacements.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a few pictures of the different footboard styles during the EVO era.

Early style with riveted brackets.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Final design with reinforcements and drain holes. View attachment 268564
Am pretty sure the bottom two styles will not fit an FXRP/D. The bracket spacing appears incorrect. The top one's brackets appear to be in the the correct position, however the beveled/angled lip area I mentioned in a previous post would lead me to believe they would likely not fit correctly either.

May I ask why the importance of finding the particular type you mention, without the drain holes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Am pretty sure the bottom two styles will not fit an FXRP/D. The bracket spacing appears incorrect. The top one's brackets appear to be in the the correct position, however the beveled/angled lip area I mentioned in a previous post would lead me to believe they would likely not fit correctly either.

May I ask why the importance of finding the particular type you mention, without the drain holes?
I agree that all the footboards depicted are not for FXR, The positions of the brackets differ, but the steel plate is all the same. What I was trying to illustrate was that Harley changed the design over the years without changing the part number. Good to know for those who like to restore one of these bikes to its original condition, or use parts that was correct for that year in a custom application. For older Harleys there is a lot of information to find, but for the early Evo:s and the FXR very little info seems to be around. These bikes are getting old and very worthy of restoring or just maintaining as the Evolution was a very crucial model for Harley. Without it the factory most likely would have been gone today. I believe that the Evo, especially in its FXR variety was as important as the Knucklehead in the sense that it restored Harleys reputation for quality and is also very fun to ride.

Regarding the footboards without the drain holes: I have a 1986 model and I believe that thé type with the drain holes were made at a later date. Anyway, if I don't find them I would be ok with the later type as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Good luck in your search.

I would be very surprised to hear all those boards shared the same part number though. I'm not sure how that part of the equation was illustrated. Only that there are different boards that fit various bikes, all of which may have had an EVO.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course there was different part numbers for different models as the positioning of the mount brackets differed. These footboards was introduced in 1966 for the first time and has gone through many changes.

However, my questions are about the changes to the steel stamping that is the board where the brackets and the top parts are mounted. I believe that most likely Harley made one stamping and then fitted the brackets accordingly for the different models, having different part numbers for each variety. What I'm trying to discuss is how this stamping was changed over the years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts