V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see any kind of "electrical" forum, so I guess I'll post this here. I have a 1990 FXR (Evo) that is ready for a new battery. The one I'm replacing is an "open" type you-fill-with-water kind and has lasted my 6 or so years. It is starting to loose it's current carrying capability for starting, so I figured I be more safe than sorry and just get a new battery. Question is, what do you guys recommend as far as type (lead/acid, gel, etc), manufacturer and where to get it? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Hi,
kicker only, e-start or both ?
My `72 FL (stock-engine,Blue Streak contact-ignition,S&S E) doesn`t sport the e-starter anymore.
So it`s the cheapest 3 AH sealed battery I use.
She`s coming on the second kick, anytime anywhere.
No experience on gel-type (heard: so-so)
The most (with e-start) I figure are happy with a 19 AH (or less) lead/acid-type
ray.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Get a gel battery.
Manufacturer should be any except the very cheapest.
Try parts direct. Jireh. Hell, I'll sell you one.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Go gel cell. All the way. No fuss, no mess, no leak tube. Just be sure it's cleaned well before you install it. Get a Yuasa.
Cheers, BigR:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys... I was thinking of going with a gel battery. My Dad's new dyna came with a gel battery and hes had no problems so far. I looked through my J&P catalog last night and was very surprised at the sparse selection of batteries they offered. Didn't even have gel batteries from what I could tell. I'll have to look at some other sources.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a 92 FXRS. The last battery I bought was from Harley- a $65 maintenance free one. I've only had it a couple of years but it's fine so far and has more CCA and a smaller case than the other batteries I've had. It's a lot easier to work with in the tight space FXRs have for the battery.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Get a HD battery- FXRs are notorious for eating batteries and what a lot of folks don't realize are the reasons why-
1) you are limited on the size of the battery due to where it goes
2) it has heat issues there
3)it gets shaken to death

I have had 4 "gel" batteries on my FXR- the HD that they use now is a "glassmat" battery that is packed in such a way the lead plates are MUCH less likely to be rattled loose. I am running it on both my FXRs and have had much better luck than with the much pricier sealed gels.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Strick9 is right. Forget gel batteries and go with the HD AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery. It is a sealed lead acid battery and has had very few problems since it inception back in 99. HD sells one for your bike. If you charge your bike while not in use (very good idea), the charger should be a type made for use on AGM batteries. Battery Tender Plus is very good. I also think Yuasa makes one as do others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts