V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should be picking up a 99' FXDX next weekend.

I would like to have saddle bags for trips.

1. HD Bags are mucho expensive

2. I would like bag that I can take off when not needed and won't leave unsightly attachment points

Questions:

1. Are throw over saddle bags any good? Can you folks list some pro's and con's of throwovers and recommend some suppliers. Are they sturdy? Do they rub? etc.

2. Attached bags. Good less expensive bags? Mounting options for removability? Pro's/ Con's?

Thanks all,

Cheers,

SB

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
SB, saddle bags are a matter of personal preference and there are so many to choose from.

Let me tell you what I have found in my experience although it may not apply to your usage of bags. I had first thought that with my Dyna that I wouldn't be using bags much at all. I thought having a stripped down bike for around town I wouldn't need them. Well, even though my bike had quick detatchable bags I found that I rarely took them off. A man needs a place to put his "stuff" if he is going very far even if it's just his jacket as the day warms up. Having tried the inexpensive throw over type in the past they really didn't hold up to everyday use in the elements and remain looking good and keeping their shape etc. Still, buying a new set every year or two could still be price effective if they are inexpensive enough. But my reasoning is that I payed quite a sum for my bike so why put a $75 set of bags on a multi-thousand dollar bike if I am going to use them most of the time. So I bit the bullet and spent a large amount on some very high quality bags. I haven't regreted it at all. With the proper care they can be kept in excellent condition and looking good for years. But that's just me. If I was going to be taking them on and off alot I think I would still choose a high quality bag with quick connects, maybe with "Ghost Brackets" if I had to. But money isn't free and everyone's situation is different so you make the call.

I will say that for occasional use throw-overs can last for years along with T-Bags or other nylon type sissy bar bags and temporary bags. They just do not hold up over the long term for constant weather exposer very well.

I'm sure that others may have a good recommendation for the throw-overs for you if that really fits your situation better though.

Later,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the info FifthGear, thanks.

The longer I think about it, the more I sway to the ghost bracket mounted bags. Maybe even the Osprey Limited bags that I can use with my stock taillights. I like the lean back license plate mod and I wouldn't be able to do that if I relocate the signals.

I would still like more info and more links to bag makers so keep it comin' folks.

Thanks again,

SB

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the Osprey throw over slant bags w/ the HD saddlebag supports. The bags are good, but have lost some shape. My biggest gripe is that the throw-overs can mar the rear fender a bit, and the p-pad (if used) doesn't sit right on the fender with the yoke underneath. Also the saddlebag supports are a bit bulky looking when the bags are off the bike. I'm gonna get a new pair of the Osprey bolt-on bags, The black bracket attaches to the fender strut and the bags bolt to it. they look real nice for $315. Also (supposedly) the turn signals don't have to be moved.

Osprey - www.saddlebags.net

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
richkorn1, please keep us filled in on your experience with those bags.

Cheers,

SB

·
Registered
228 Posts
I put the Osprey "Chieftan" bags w/ghostbrackets on my 99fxdx and they work great! I did move the signals to the back for bag clearance. Based on the research I did on bags, Osprey was a great value and the ghostbrackets were only a slight adder in cost instead of the full ~$160.

I only use the bags around half the time, mostly spring and fall when I need the extra clothes/chaps/etc. I also have a T-bag that I use for longer weekend rides in the summary. I've "quick" detached the bags, windshield, and even seat so that I'm from "fxdx" to "fxdx-t(like)" in seconds.

See the Osprey site at www.saddlebags.net

1 - 7 of 7 Posts