V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made modifications (risers, ape hangers, etc) to their FXDX? It looks like the brake line for the dual disc front needs to be replaced in order to make even the slightest modification like adding 2" risers. HD doesn't show longer dual disc brake lines in the accessory inventory on their website. Will I have to go with after maket parts? Any info would be appreciated.

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
I think it all depends on what kind of mods you are looking to do with your handle bars?

If you are looking for more reach then 56102-99 bars should be no fuss no muss.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just want the hand controls a few inches closer to me and a little higher. I hope to solve that with perhaps 4 inch risers. I dont want to have to change out all the cables and wiring. I had three different style handlebars on my 1200 Sportster before I was happy with it. Having the dealer change it out gets pretty expensive. I'm looking for the least expensive mods first that I can do myself.

·
01 FXDXT / 75 FLH
349 Posts
Jimboni5 said:
I just want the hand controls a few inches closer to me and a little higher. I hope to solve that with perhaps 4 inch risers. I dont want to have to change out all the cables and wiring. I had three different style handlebars on my 1200 Sportster before I was happy with it. Having the dealer change it out gets pretty expensive. I'm looking for the least expensive mods first that I can do myself.

I have a 2001 FXDXT and I put 4" pullback risers on with no cable mods at all. There is plenty of harness tucked in the tank for the wiring, the brake line tube needed to be tweaked a little.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I was hoping to hear! I'm hoping the 4 inch risers do the trick. If not, the 56102-99 hadlebars (Standard bars on the Softails) mentioned by 45leadslinger could be the way to go. Thanks.

·
Acquisitions
4,513 Posts
a friend of mine added 4" risers with no problems-he told me there was more wires and cable there than u think-good luck

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
45leadslinger said:
jim,

no cable change over necessary, at least on the super glide. You may have to reroute brake cable. I forget. puts hands where i like them. I bought the long horn handle bars as well, but didn't like the position.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69982

george248 will send pics. worked for me
Thanks! I'll let you know how things go.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to the H-D dealer and sat on a bunch of Softails and Dynas. I'm sold on the Mini Apes on the Street Bob. I (ahem) wimped out and decided to let the dealer install it when I take The Dyna Sport out of storage next month. Spring cant get here soon enough! :chopper:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.